How can I attach a PDF to a note in Notes.app?

I’m trying this:

on run {input, parameters}

repeat with |file| in input
		set |note name| to ""

tell application "Finder"
			set |note name| to name of |file|

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "."
			set |note name| to first text item of |note name|
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
		end tell

tell application "Notes"
			set |note body| to "<body><h1>" & |note name| & "</h1></body>"
			set |new note| to make new note with properties {body:|note body|}
			make new attachment of |new note| with data file |file|
		end tell

end repeat

return input
end run

This add the first page of the PDF file only and show a huge empty space before the attachment.

Do I have to define the type of file I’m attaching to the note?

Model: MacBook Air M1
AppleScript: 2.11
Browser: Safari 605.1.15
Operating System: macOS 12

Your question is asked quite often, and in my opinion it has not yet been answered anywhere. I’ll show you the solution that came to mind after reading the Notes.app dictionary.

For the Automator, you will remake my snippet yourself (actually, there is another section for questions related to Automator).

set thePDF to (choose file of type "com.adobe.pdf") as text 

tell application "Finder" to set |note name| to name of file thePDF

set |note body| to "<body><h1>" & |note name| & "</h1></body>"

tell application "Notes"
	make new attachment at end of attachments of note named |note name| with data (file thePDF)
end tell

Other Example:

set |note name| to "Test Note 1"
set |red paragraph| to "Blah, blah, blah"
set |note body| to "<body><h1 style=\"color:green;\">" & |note name| & "</h1>
<p style=\"color:red;\" >" & |red paragraph| & "</p>
</body>"

tell application "Notes"
	make new attachment at end of attachments of note named |note name| with data (file thePDF)
end tell

Thank you for your help.
Unfortunately, the same problem occurs:

A weird space appears before the attachment, and even removing the space manually it returns.

It would be nice if you showed the script you were testing this time. Because both of my scripts work correctly on my MAC. In general, have you tried my scripts as is?

I used your code. My MacBook Air is an M1 with the latest version of the system, maybe it has a bug in Notes or something has changed in the new version.

Thank you very much for your time.

Hi.

I’m getting the same effect in Mojave that Luiz is seeing. Also the new note’s name has to be set explicitly and, since several notes can have the same name, it’s a good idea to specify attachments of |new note| rather than attachments of note named |note name|.

</body>"

tell application "Notes"
	activate
	set |new note| to make new note with properties {name:|note name|, body:|note body|}
	make new attachment at end of attachments of |new note| with data (file thePDF)
end tell

The PDF image can be moved up to the required location by deleting the page-sized empty line above it, but admittedly this isn’t ideal. Is there a way to get round this in the HTML? Another thing I’m finding is that if the PDF has more than one page, only the first appears in the note.

Nigel Garvey make sure you really managed to remove the space, every time I come back to see the note the space Reappears.

The current behavior of Notes.app when attaching a PDF is to show only the first part of the page, however when you click with the course the entire document appears in a new window.

I don’t particularly like this behavior, there could be some number indicating other pages or even the rendering of one page over the other, I think Apple should improve this soon.

Nigel, on the Catalina, your script throws error, because making new note doesn’t create a proper (object) reference to it. This behaviour was reason I used the syntax “of note |note name|”. The best choice is determining the ID of new note, then using syntax “of note id |note id|”

I tried both of KniazidisR’s scripts and Nigel’s script on Monterey. My observations FWIW:

• All of the scripts worked fine (no errors).
  • I did observe the “weird space” that Luiz notes.
  • The weird space is the same height as the height of the PDF document.
  • If I delete the weird space it does not return, even after quitting the Notes app.
  • Typing in the weird space causes it to resize to the general height of the text.

Here is, what I have after executing my 2nd script. It is file icon, and not embedded PDF. I think, this is correct behaviour, and embedding PDF is some bug:

Today I tested it and I’m having the same behavior described above, including that which refers to the weird space. “ If I delete the weird space it does not return”.

I wonder if it is possible to remove this weird space after attaching the file.

Not sure I can help you, because on Catalina the behaviour is different from your system. Following script:

</body>"

tell application "Notes"
	make new note with properties {body:|note body|}
	make new attachment at end of attachments of note |note name| with data (file thePDF)
	return body of note |note name|
end tell

on my Mac returns following HTML:

[b]

Test Note 1

Blah, blah, blah

[/b]

So, what HTML is returned on your Mac?

Using your code, the result is this:

"

<font color="#008000"><span style="font-size: 21px">Test Note 1

Blah, blah, blah

The Object is not described. :frowning:

This works for me in Mojave — today at least! The ‘make’ and ‘show’ lines won’t work in Catalina, to judge from KniazidisR’s report above. I’ve no idea how the GUI Scripting section will fare on non-Mojave systems.

tell application "Notes"
	activate

</body>"

set |new note| to make new note with properties {name:|note name|, body:|note body|}
	make new attachment at end of attachments of |new note| with data (file thePDF)
	show |new note|
end tell

tell application "System Events"
	tell application process "Notes"
		set frontmost to true
		-- Make sure the cursor's in the note content column.
		set focused of text area 1 of scroll area 1 of group 2 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 to true
		delay 0.3
		-- Move the cursor to the bottom of the column.
		key code 125 using {command down}
		delay 0.3
		-- Cursor up one line, left to end of previous line, delete.
		key code {126, 123, 51}
	end tell
end tell

I understand what you are doing, good idea. In my system this line of your code above fail, the window structure seems to be different.

Anyway, thank you.

I found a way to reliably attach a file or image to arbitrary places inside a note in Notes.app. See the code at Need help making GUI scripting AppleScript robust where I’ve asked for help to make the solution more robust.

Resurrecting this because, with macOS Sonoma (and iOS 17), we learn that this “weird empty space” is, in fact, a duplicate of the attachment.

AND, much worse, opening notes created this way in those operating systems causes Notes to crash unceremoniously, making these kinds of Notes (and the path to creating them) now useless instead of simply “annoying”.

And so… we must find a different path.

I’m still on Ventura and can’t speak to the oddities in Sonoma, but this works well for me here. Customize the PDF source as you like.

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

tell application "Safari"
	tell its document 1
		set pageName to name
		set pageURL to URL
	end tell
end tell

set SaveFolderPath to "~/Desktop/"
tell application "Safari" to activate
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Safari"
		click menu item "Export as PDF…" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
		repeat until exists sheet 1 of window 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
		keystroke "tempPDF"
		delay 0.2
		keystroke "d" using command down
		delay 0.2
		keystroke return
	end tell
end tell

delay 1
	set attPath to ((path to desktop folder from user domain as text) & "tempPDF.pdf") as alias
end tell

tell application "Notes"
	activate
	set theNote to make new note in folder "Testing" with properties {name:pageName}
	tell theNote
		delete attachments
		set b to pageName & ":" & pageURL
		set body to b
		make new attachment at end of attachments with data attPath
		delete attachment 1
	end tell
end tell

delete attPath
end tell