How to "unpack" a container

Greetings,

This seems like such a simple question, but I just don’t know how do it, or even how to find out whether it’s possible. What I need to do is get at the various objects referenced in a hierarchy of containment, such as the following:

journal entry 12 of journal 1 of journal 4 of document "MyMJDoc" of application "MacJournal"

I have looked in the MacJournal dictionary and found nothing useful on this score. I have also posted to a MacJournal-specific forum and have received no replies as yet.

These sort of containment hierarchies are so common in AS that I figure there must be a way of traversing up them, but I can’t find out how to do it! I’ve tried “parent” and “owner” (and “journal”) and nothing works. And, of course, googling isn’t exactly helpful, given that one of the keywords I’m searching for is “of”…

Can some kind soul please let me know if what I need to do is possible, and if so, how to achieve it?

Many thanks in advance!

AppleScript: 2.1.2
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

Hi,

while developing a scriptable application Cocoa Scripting does not create automatic “parent object” references for the element objects in the dictionary. The programmer has to create them explicitly.

glurg… :frowning:

Thanks anyway StefanK