Illustrator export font list - works!

Adapted from one of Adobe’s sample scripts for AI CS3 - this will pull a list of all fonts used in a document into a plain text file.

--A stripped down version of Adobe's sample script "Analyze Documents"

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
	set docRef to document 1
	set textItemList to every text frame of docRef
	set fontList to ""

repeat with textart in textItemList
		if ((count of characters in textart) > 0) then
			set characterFont to the name of text font of character 1 of text of textart
			if (not (fontList contains characterFont)) then
				set fontList to fontList & characterFont & return
			end if
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

set myPref to button returned of (display dialog (name of docRef) & " contains the following fonts:" & return & return & (fontList as text) & return & "Save font list as a text file?" buttons {"Cancel", "Save"} default button 2)
if myPref = "Save" then
	set theText to "Fonts used in " & (name of docRef) & return & return & fontList as text
	tell application "TextEdit"
		set myDoc to (make new document with properties {text:theText})
		tell myDoc
			activate
		end tell
	end tell
end if

I used this code and it worked fine in Illustrator CS4. The problem for me is that sometimes a character is formatted in the middle of the paragraph and this code only picks up the first character. I modified the script to cover every character of every text frame.

But for documents with lots of text it takes a really long time. Also, it errors if there are any linked text frames. Has anyone got any better ideas for getting a list of fonts used in the document?

set docRef to document 1
	set textItemList to every text frame of docRef
	set fontList to ""

repeat with textart in textItemList
		set charCount to count of characters in textart
		if charCount > 0 then
			repeat with charNumber from 1 to charCount
				set characterFont to the name of text font of character charNumber of text of textart
				if (not (fontList contains characterFont)) then
					set fontList to fontList & characterFont & return
				end if
			end repeat
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

set myPref to button returned of (display dialog (name of docRef) & " contains the following fonts:" & return & return & (fontList as text) & return & "Save font list as a text file?" buttons {"Cancel", "Save"} default button 2)
if myPref = "Save" then
	set theText to "Fonts used in " & (name of docRef) & return & return & fontList as text
		tell myDoc
			activate
		end tell
	end tell
end if

I also tried it with words instead of characters. That improved the speed and would pick up most of the extra formatting but it would ignore copyright and registered trademark symbols that are attached to a word. And it still errors with linked text frames.

Model: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
AppleScript: 2.1.2
Browser: Firefox 3.6.14
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)

Illustrator export font list - works better!!!

I had to have a solution that found all the fonts used, so the first character was not enough. Looping through each time would go really slowly on documents with lots of text, so I found it better to gather a list of all characters and then sort through the duplicates. My script also excludes some fonts that only appear in our information block. It also differs from the original script in that it places the result in a named text frame in the Illustrator document. And it gets rid of empty text frames.

I would be interested if anyone has any comments or improvements.

Ta
Dave

-- this script will record all the fonts used in the document, 
-- with the exception of fonts in the list of information fonts
-- the information fonts are not dispatched with the job

-- captures the user's first name from the system for use later
set myName to (long user name of (system info))
set sp to (offset of " " in myName)
set myFirstName to text 1 thru (sp - 1) of myName

activate
	set thisDoc to document 1

-- gets rid of empty text frames
	try
		tell thisDoc
			delete (every text frame whose contents is "")
		end tell
	on error
		display dialog "Hi " & myFirstName & ". You probably have empty text fields on a hidden or locked layer." buttons {"Edit document"}
	end try

-- get the long list of fonts used in the document
	try -- because otherwise it crashes!
		set allCharacterFontsList to get name of text font of every character of every story of thisDoc
	end try
	set infoFontsList to {"Font-1", "Font-2", "Font-3"} -- put your fonts to exclude here
	set usedFontsList to {}

-- looks at the very long list of fonts and removes duplicates
	repeat with x from 1 to count of items of allCharacterFontsList
		set n to item x of allCharacterFontsList
		if n is not in usedFontsList and n is not in infoFontsList then set end of usedFontsList to n
	end repeat

if usedFontsList is {} then
		set usedFontsList to "None"
	end if

-- turns the list into a string separated by a comma and a space
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ", "
	set myFontList to usedFontsList as string
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}

-- puts the font information into a named text frame in the illustrator document
	if exists (text frame "titleblock-fonts" of thisDoc) then
		set contents of text frame "titleblock-fonts" of thisDoc to myFontList
	end if
	activate
end tell

I can’t seem to get this to work in CS5… unless I am doing something wrong. I ran it from both the Applescript app and from inside Illustrator’s Presets/Scripts folder. It does delete the empty text frame but I never get a dialog box or a txt document.

Will this script work with CS5? Advice on what I could be doing incorrectly?

Thanks,
cindy in indy

Hi Cindy

Were you running the last script? There is a comment near the end that says it puts the results into a named text frame “titleblock-fonts”. The other scripts bring up dialog boxes and offer to save as text.

I’m running this on CS4 but my colleague is running CS5 and they both work. I’ve found it performs a lot better from the script menu in the menu bar, rather than from inside Illustrator’s script area. If you run it from Script Editor, click the Events button at the bottom and it should give you some feedback.

Interesting … I am using the very last script.

So odd. I put it in my FastScripts menu as well and I still can’t get it to work.

It does get rid of empty text frame but that seems to be as far as I get.

I have run it
while in the AppleScript editor
within Illustrator’s Script “Other Script” menu
and FastScripts

What are the events and replies (bottom of Script Editor)? This should show what is going wrong.

So do you have an exactly named text frame in Illustrator called titleblock-fonts? If you want to display a dialog instead use the (slightly modified) bit of code from the previous examples. Al I have changed is the variable names so that it all ties up.

set myPref to button returned of (display dialog (name of thisDoc) & " contains the following fonts:" & return & return & (myFontList as text) & return & "Save font list as a text file?" buttons {"Cancel", "Save"} default button 2)
	if myPref = "Save" then
		set theText to "Fonts used in " & (name of thisDoc) & return & return & myFontList as text
			tell myDoc
				activate
			end tell
		end tell
	end if

This code goes at the bottom.