InDesign, image resizing, and 'fit' is not an option (I think)

Okay, let’s see if I can explain this…

Picture this: on a page (page i) in a document in InDesign is this 2x2 inch rectangle with the applescript label “IMG01” (aka lItemLabel). After placing a .TIF image in the rectangle I want to resize it within the 2x2 inch bounds but in a way NOT allowed via the ‘fit’ command.

To explain, what I want - much like the ‘fit given proportionally’ I want the image to be resized proportionally… just NOT so the longer dimension of the image fits within the 2x2 inch rectangle, so the shorter dimension does. So if I had a 3.5x5 inch photograph I would want to have the 3.5 inch dimension fit the 2 inch rectangle and the 5 inch dimension would be centered and cropped.

on sImageResizer(lImagePlacement, lItemLabel, i)
		tell application "InDesign CS"
			tell active document
				tell page i

if lImagePlacement = "" or lImagePlacement = "p" then
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given proportionally -- Shrinks the image down proportionally then
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given frame to content -- Reduces the size of the rectangle to fit it

else if lImagePlacement = "c" then
						set {RTb, RLb, RBb, RRb} to get geometric bounds of rectangle lItemLabel -- Get dimensions of rectangle
						select rectangle lItemLabel
						set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to get geometric bounds of graphic 1 of selection -- Get dimensions of Image
						set lRectHeight to (RBb - RTb) -- Height of rectangle
						set lRectWidth to (RRb - RLb) -- Width of rectangle
						set lImageHeight to (IBb - ITb) -- Height of image
						set lImageWidth to (IRb - ILb) -- Width of image

--display dialog ("Rectangle dimensions - H:" & lRectHeight & " W:" & lRectWidth & return & "Image dimensions - H:" & lImageHeight & " W:" & lImageWidth)

if lImageHeight > lImageWidth then -- Get the smaller of the two dimensions
							set lMultiplier to (lRectWidth / lImageWidth)

else if lImageWidth > lImageHeight then -- Get the smaller of the two dimensions
							set lMultiplier to (lRectHeight / lImageHeight)

else if lImageWidth = lImageHeight then -- If the two dimensions are equal
							set lMultiplier to (lRectHeight / lImageHeight) -- Either width OR height would have worked in this instance
						end if

--display dialog "Multiplier - " & lMultiplier

set IBb to (IBb * lMultiplier) -- Reduce/enlarge lMultiplier %
						set IRb to (IRb * lMultiplier) -- Reduce/enlarge lMultiplier %
						set geometric bounds of text frame lItemLabel to {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} -- Sets the new Image dimensions
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given center content -- Center the image cropping the remainder height or width
					end if

end tell
			end tell
		end tell
end sImageResizer

Below is the error I get with this iteration of the script. I have tried several versions and gotten several errors, but this one made the most sense.

Any ideas where I need to go from here?

It will be a couple days before I have access to ID again, so I can’t test your code or my hunches, but I see things that I think are potential problems. I believe line 11 needs an article “ “the selection”, and line 7 (from the bottom) is referencing a different object class than the rest of the code.

Son of a … Okay, I changed the object class ‘text frame’ to ‘rectangle’ (how did I not see that?!?) but changing line 11 to ‘the selection’ or even substituting ‘lItemLabel’ for 'selection doesn’t seem to get me past the error. In fact I get the error

Great catch on line -7 though, thanks.

The newest error message that was returned seems to show that it’s at least trying, but the class is other than expected. One of these constructions might work:

set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to get geometric bounds of graphic 1 of rectangle (the selection) 
 set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to get geometric bounds of item 1 of the selection's all graphics 

Hi Marc,

When I plugged in

set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to get geometric bounds of item 1 of the selection's all graphics

I got the error

and when I tried

set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to get geometric bounds of graphic 1 of rectangle (the selection)

I got the error

Hi,
If I understand you correctly I think this should do the trick:

set thefile to choose file

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS2"
	activate
	set myDocument to make document
	tell document 1
		set myRectangle to make rectangle with properties {geometric bounds:{10, 10, 60, 60}, stroke weight:0}
		set boxwidth to (item 4 of geometric bounds of myRectangle) - (item 2 of geometric bounds of myRectangle)
		set boxheight to (item 3 of geometric bounds of myRectangle) - (item 1 of geometric bounds of myRectangle)
		tell myRectangle
			set thisgraphic to place thefile
		end tell
		set imageBounds to geometric bounds of thisgraphic
		set imageHeight to (item 3 of imageBounds) - (item 1 of imageBounds)
		set imageWidth to (item 4 of imageBounds) - (item 2 of imageBounds)
		if imageHeight > boxheight then
			display dialog "image height is > box height"
			set geometric bounds of thisgraphic to {(item 1 of geometric bounds of myRectangle), (item 2 of imageBounds), (item 3 of geometric bounds of myRectangle), (item 4 of imageBounds)}
		end if
		set Vertical_scale to vertical scale of thisgraphic
		set horizontal scale of thisgraphic to Vertical_scale
		tell myRectangle
			fit thisgraphic given center content
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

If the height of the image you place is larger than the height of the box it will reduce the height of the image to the height of the box and then take the percentage of the scale and apply it to the width of the image, keeping the image proportional.
Thanks,
Nik

Hi Blend3,

I’m not home to check this yet, but if I read this correctly:

it seems to do the same as ‘fit given proportionally’ in that it reduces the LONGER dimension to fit in the rectangle. I want the SHORTER dimension to fit and the longer dimension to be cropped. What you have given me can probably be reworked to do just that so when I get home I will make the changes I think will be necessary and let you know if it works.

Thanks.

Nik beat me to it with his ready-made solution, but I was able to check your code in InDesign this morning, and the issue wasn’t the line of code itself, but the placement. The selection’s object reference already contains a page ID, so you can’t tell the selection of the page to do something, directly; you either have to nix the “tell page” block or redirect the command.

tell active document
		set theTarget to rectangle lItemLabel
		tell page 1
			set {RTb, RLb, RBb, RRb} to get geometric bounds of rectangle lItemLabel
			--select rectangle lItemLabel (* optional *)
			tell theTarget to set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to item 1's graphic 1's geometric bounds
						--insert rest o' stuff 
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

So even if I have a document with 100 pages, each with a rectangle named “IMG01”, the document knows which one belongs to any given page? Sweet! You don’t know just how much you have helped me understand how InDesign handles these objects.

Thanks guys!

Well, here’s what I have and it works perfectly thanks to Marc Anthony and blend 3.

on sImageResizer(lImagePlacement, lItemLabel, i, lScriptsFolder)
			tell active document
				set lImageTarget to rectangle lItemLabel
				tell page i

if lImagePlacement = "" or lImagePlacement = "p" then
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given proportionally -- Shrinks the image down proportionally then
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given frame to content -- Reduces the size of the rectangle to fit it

else if lImagePlacement = "c" then
						tell lImageTarget to set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to item 1's graphic 1's geometric bounds -- Get dimensions of Image
						set {RTb, RLb, RBb, RRb} to get geometric bounds of rectangle lItemLabel -- Get dimensions of rectangle

if lImageHeight > lImageWidth then -- Get the smaller of the two dimensions
							set lMultiplier to (lRectWidth / lImageWidth) -- Determine percentage as decimal
							set ITb to RTb -- Place top of image at top of rectangle
							set ILb to RLb -- Place left side of image at left side of rectangle
							set IRb to RRb
							set IBb to (ITb + (lImageHeight * lMultiplier))

else if lImageWidth > lImageHeight then -- Get the smaller of the two dimensions
							set lMultiplier to (lRectHeight / lImageHeight) -- Determine percentage as decimal
							set IBb to RBb -- Fixed a typo here
							set IRb to (ILb + (lImageWidth * lMultiplier))

else if lImageWidth = lImageHeight then -- If the two dimensions are equal
							set IBb to RBb -- Place bottom of image at top of rectangle
							set IRb to RRb -- Place right side of image at left side of rectangle
						end if

set item 1's graphic 1's geometric bounds of lImageTarget to {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} -- Sets the new Image dimensions
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given center content -- Center the image cropping the remainer height or width
					end if

end tell
			end tell
		end tell
end sImageResizer

Came back to fix a typo THINKING that it was why the images on every page after page 1 fail to resize the image at all, but I was incorrect in this assumption. There is a problem with this script (at least on my Mac) and I will try to remember to come back and update this when I figure out what it is. :confused:

Okay, figured out the problem and tested this with fantastic results (told you I’d come back with the answer…eventually :confused: ).

on sImageResizer(lCustomerGraphic, lImagePlacement, lItemLabel, i, lProjectDocument)
			tell lProjectDocument
				tell page i

--> Resize proportionally to the longest dimension

if ((lImagePlacement = "") or (lImagePlacement contains "P") or (lImagePlacement contains "p")) then
						place alias lCustomerGraphic on page item lItemLabel -- Insert the graphic item
					end if

--> Resize proportionally to the shortest dimension and center

if ((lImagePlacement contains "C") or (lImagePlacement contains "c")) then
						set {RTb, RLb, RBb, RRb} to geometric bounds of rectangle lItemLabel -- Get dimensions of rectangle
						place alias lCustomerGraphic on page item lItemLabel -- Insert the graphic item
						tell rectangle lItemLabel to set {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb} to item 1's graphic 1's geometric bounds -- Get dimensions of Image 

if lImageHeight < lImageWidth then -- Get the smaller of the two dimensions
							set lMultiplier to (lRectHeight / lImageHeight) -- Determine percentage as decimal
							set IRb to (ILb + (lImageWidth * lMultiplier))
							set IBb to RBb -- Place bottom of image at bottom of rectangle

else if lImageHeight > lImageWidth then -- Get the smaller of the two dimensions
							set lMultiplier to (lRectWidth / lImageWidth) -- Determine percentage as decimal
							set IRb to RRb -- Place right side of image at right side of rectangle
							set IBb to (ITb + (lImageHeight * lMultiplier))

else if lImageHeight = lImageWidth then -- If the two dimensions are equal
							set IRb to RRb -- Place right side of image at left side of rectangle
							set IBb to RBb -- Place bottom of image at top of rectangle
						end if

tell rectangle lItemLabel to set item 1's graphic 1's geometric bounds to {ITb, ILb, IBb, IRb}
						fit rectangle lItemLabel given center content -- Center the image cropping the remainer height or width -- rectangle lItemLabel
					end if

end tell
			end tell
		end tell

end sImageResizer

Yes, every polygon in ID has its own unique ID number. And every polygon belongs to a page, and every page belongs to a spread. So you have to talk to it like this:

tell polygon id 234 of page 1 of spread 1 of document 1
--do something
end tell