is it possible to fork or create new process with applescript?

I use quicksilver to invoke my applescripts… however if i invoke them directly, my quicksilver is frozen while the script is running…
also in apps like iTunes, if a script takes a while to run, i would like to do something else while the script is running…
Only way i found to go around this problem is to create a separate script or app that actually do the work and have another script to invoke the main app/script.
But this is bit messy for me…

so is there a way in applescript to create a separate process?
it would be ideal if i can do something like
fork()
if this is parent
return
else
=do stuff=

I know this is possible in python… i was wondering if applescript has feature like this

My version of Quicksilver (old: ß52; I am still on Tiger) has an option to “Run tasks in background” in the “Extras” preference set. It appears that this is only available if “Enable advanced features” is checked in the main “Application” preference set. With this background option enabled, I can launch and run multiple AppleScript ˜.scpt’ programs at the same time. Maybe whatever version of Quicksilver you have offers something similar.

my version of Quicksilver seems to misbehave when i use that option and run my applescript…

plus i also frequently call my scripts from menubar… so the ideal solution is to fork…