Issue with run script and parameters

I am running into issue with using the following runScript withParameters subroutine when using arguments the contain a list.

Error: -[__NSArrayM fileSystemRepresentation]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x600006ceced0

Code:

set theResult to (my runScript:"SomeScriptFile" withParameters:{aTextItem, aTextItem, aList, anotherList})

on runScript:theScript withParameters:arguments
	tell application "System Events"
		set theScpt to POSIX path of (first file of folder scriptLocation whose name begins with theScript)
	end tell
	set argumentList to {theScpt} & arguments
	set executableURL to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:"/usr/bin/osascript"
	set {theTask, theError} to current application's NSTask's launchedTaskWithExecutableURL:executableURL arguments:argumentList |error|:(reference) terminationHandler:(missing value)
	theTask's waitUntilExit()
	set status to theTask's terminationStatus()
	if status as integer is 0 then
		log "Task succeeded."
	else
		log "Task failed."
		error "There was an error running"
	end if
  end runScript:withParameters:

If anyone has a recommendation on how to resolve, please let me know! Thanks

The first thing to check in cases like this is the value of any errors that might be returned. Check if theTask is returned as missing value, and if so, check the value of theError.

It seems to be related to passing an argument containing a list of items and lists.

@Shane_Stanley

For example this errors:

set theArgs to {"SomeItem", "AnotherItem", {"A", "B", "C"}, {"1", "2", "3"}} 
set theResult to my runScript:"test script.scpt" withParameters:theArgs

I’m assuming it needs to be converted to list of string(s) but do not know how to handle the lists. If it was being passed to a subroutine it would be easy to use:

on runSpecialScript(itemA, itemB, listA, listB)

But it is being passed to another script. I guess what I should be asking is what’s the best method to pass multiple variables containing items and lists to Script B when the script is run from Script A?

Humour me and check the error as I suggested:

set {theTask, theError} to current application's NSTask's launchedTaskWithExecutableURL:executableURL arguments:argumentList |error|:(reference) terminationHandler:(missing value)
     if theTask = missing value then
         display dialog (theError's localizedDescription()) as text

I used the following code with adding your line:

on runScript:theScript withParameters:argItems
	tell application "System Events"
		set theScpt to POSIX path of (first file of folder scriptLocation whose name begins with theScript)
	end tell
	set argumentsSerialized to my serializeValue(argItems)
	log argumentsSerialized
	set argumentList to {theScpt} & argumentsSerialized
	log argumentList
	set executableURL to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:"/usr/bin/osascript"
	else
		log "not missing value"
	end if
	set status to theTask's terminationStatus()
	if status as integer is 0 then
		log "Task succeeded."
	else
		log "Task failed."
		error "There was an error running"
	end if
end runScript:withParameters:

And the dialog showed no error. It displayed the error task failed catch since Status as integer is not 0.

The variables are as follows:
executableURL = (NSURL) file:///usr/bin/osascript argumentList = /Users/myuser/Desktop/Automation Tools.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/SomeScript.scpt, {"WTF", "WTF", {"A", "B", "C"}, {"1", "2", "3"}}

The line using them that fails with item 2 & item 3 as lists:

Yes same error. I guess it’s because I’m trying to use an array as string because arguments are expected to be and array of strings?

For easier testing I shortened code and eliminated the subroutine with launchTaskWithExecutableURL. Here is my code I was able to convert argument to string prior to sending and did not fail Now I need to convert the argument back from:
string value = (*{"WTF", "WTF", {"1", "2", "3"}, {"1", "2", "3"}}*)
to
{"WTF", "WTF", {"A", "B", "C"}, {"1", "2", "3"}}

Here is the complete code:

use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set valueToBePassed to {"WTF", "WTF", {"1", "2", "3"}, {"1", "2", "3"}}
set serializedValueToBePassed to my serializeValue(valueToBePassed)
set argList to {"/Users/me/Desktop/somescript.scpt", serializedValueToBePassed}

set {theTask, theError} to current application's NSTask's launchedTaskWithExecutableURL:executableURL arguments:argList |error|:(reference) terminationHandler:(missing value)

else
	log serializedValueToBePassed --> (*{"WTF", "WTF", {"1", "2", "3"}, {"1", "2", "3"}}*)
	log theTask --> (*<NSConcreteTask: 0x6000042a6b70>*)
end if

on serializeValue(theValue)
	-- Returns the text representation of the input value
	set tid to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	try
		|| of {theValue} -- embedding the object in a list allows proper handling of certain object types (e.g., script objects)
	on error m
		try
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "{"
			set m to m's text items 2 thru -1 as text
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "}"
			set serializedValue to m's text items 1 thru -2 as text
		on error
			error "The input value could not be serialized."
		end try
	end try
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tid
	return serializedValue
end serializeValue

Seems like it! Thank you for your help. Im going to explore saving the dictionary vs creating a library and call the subroutine instead of an outside script. I had no idea arguments could not contain lists and had to be strings in this situation. The whole purpose of this exercise was that I created a helper app to trigger running a script from a link on web page, pass an argument through the link to read an API and want to pass the results to a script to keep the helper app minimal. Thanks again!

I agree. It’s been on my list to explore and learn for over a year now. Time constraints force me to use AppleScript/ApplescriptObjC with some Javascript and Shells to automate. I also have better control over the local environment. I have to figure out how to trigger an AppleScript in Node-Red/nodeJS and then I would have the best of both worlds. A web app driving a local app.