iTunes Selection Issues...

I’ve already made this applescript and it works great, it finds the lyrics for the selected tracks and imports them to the lyrics field in iTunes. That being said, some of the operations take a while so I wanted to add a progress indicator. I learned that I had to do this using Xcode. So, I built the interface for the progress window and plugged in my code, but now I’m getting these weird errors and the script won’t run. It’s saying “can’t get selection. (-1728)” as well as “Can’t make mySel into type reference. (-1700)” if I use mySel as a variable reference to “selection”. Any ideas as to why these errors are generating, and also, these errors in Xcode suck and maybe I’m missing something but they don’t seem to help at all. Is there a better way to understand these messages and at least show a line number?

property my_title : "Get Lyrics"

on launched theObject
	tell application "iTunes"
		set myChoice to button returned of (display dialog "If lyrics data already exists:" buttons {"Cancel", "Replace", "Ignore"} default button 2 with title my_title)
		try
			set mySel to selection
			if mySel is {} then
				try
					set mySel to current track
					if not (exists (database ID of current track)) then
						error
					end if
				on error
					display dialog return & "No tracks selected and no song currently playing..." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 0 giving up after 15 with title my_title
					return
				end try
			end if
		end try
		set len to (length of mySel)
		set error_tracks to ""
		set trackSuccess to 0
		set trackIgnore to 0
		with timeout of 3600 seconds
			repeat with i from 1 to len
				tell item i of my mySel
					if lyrics is "" or myChoice is "Replace" then
						set thisArtist to artist
						set thisSong to name
						set songResult to (my getSongResult(thisArtist, thisSong))
						if songResult is "Not found" then
							set error_tracks to error_tracks & "
¢ " & thisArtist & " - " & thisSong
						else
							set lyrics to songResult
							set trackSuccess to trackSuccess + 1
						end if
					else if myChoice is "Ignore" then
						set trackIgnore to trackIgnore + 1
					end if
				end tell
			end repeat
		end timeout
	end tell
end launched

Model: Macbook Pro
AppleScript: 2.2.1
Browser: Firefox 3.0.5
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.5)

Hi,

the display dialog in the first try block will never reach the return line.
The Cancel button creates an error -128 which will be ignored by the first try block and the script continues after end try
This catches the error properly

try
	set mySel to selection
	if mySel is {} then
		try
			set mySel to current track
			if not (exists (database ID of current track)) then
				error
			end if
		on error
			display dialog return & "No tracks selected and no song currently playing..." buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 0 giving up after 15 with title my_title
		end try
	end if
on error number n
	if n is -128 then return
end try

ok, thanks, I knew I had something wrong there, but I don’t think that solves the issue at hand. That said, your comment is very much appreciated