Jonesin' for Script Debugger 4

Has anyone heard from Mark A. about when Script Debugger 4 might be available? I’m also wondering if it will be Cocoa - not because Cocoa is better or worse - but there’s an issue with FastScripts that might go away if it’s Cocoa - that’s all. Script Debugger will be excellent no matter what it’s made of. 8)

Update: I’m still Jonesin’ for SD 4 news but the FastScripts issue has been resolved.

Has anyone heard from Mark A. about when Script Debugger 4 might be available?

I’ve been fairly silent over the last several months because I’ve been hard at work on a new editing/debugging product for Perl which we hope to release during the summer.

Script Debugger 4 is presently scheduled for release late this year. 2003 marks Script Debugger’s 10th anniversary – I cannot believe we’ve been at this for so long. We are going to put a few special things into Script Debugger 4 to mark this milestone.

I’m also wondering if it will be Cocoa - not because Cocoa is better or worse - but
there’s an issue with FastScripts that might go away if it’s Cocoa - that’s all.
Script Debugger will be excellent no matter what it’s made of.

After much consideration, I’ve decided to stay with Carbon for SD4. While Cocoa offers many advantages, the effort needed to port Script Debugger to Cocoa cannot be justified. Further, a significant number of Script Debugger customers are still running Classic Mac OS systems (largely because of QuarkXPress I suspect) making the transition to Cocoa less attractive, at least for now.

Hi Mark!

Good luck with the Perl editor/debugger! I’m sure that the Perl world will be a better place once it’s released.

Well ok, I guess I’ll wait until then. Congrats on the 10th anniversary!! In today’s software world, that’s quite an achievement! I look forward to the extra goodies that this will inspire in SD 4. :slight_smile:

I can’t even begin to imagine how much effort would be required to port an application but I understand your decision. While there are a few things that might be better if SD was Cocoa, it still does a fine job as is and, while many may argue the point, Cocoa isn’t perfect.

Thanks for bringing us up to speed!