keepvid

I am trying to automate downloading videos from daillymotion using keepvid.com. If i execute the applescript below when my mouse is on a daily motion video link, then I reach the keepvid.com web page where i have two “Download” buttons: one for flv and other for mp4. I want to be able to click the “Download” button for mp4. I tried UIelement Inspector but i could not come up with anything. Any ideas?

tell application "System Events" to set frontProc to name of 1st process whose frontmost is true
if frontProc is "Safari" then

tell application "System Events"
		tell process "Safari"
			set StatusItem to 1st menu item of menu 1 of menu bar item 5 of menu bar 1 whose title contains "Status"
			tell StatusItem to set StatusBarOff to its title contains "Show" or its title contains "ein"
			if StatusBarOff then display dialog "Enable status bar in Safari and run script again" buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1
			set theLink to value of static text 1 of group 1 of window 1
			set theLink2 to text 8 thru -2 of theLink

tell application "Safari"
				tell window 1
					set theURL to "http://keepvid.com/?url=" & theLink2
					set current tab to (make new tab with properties {URL:theURL})
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end if

correction: i want to be able to control-click it, not click it because a “click” plays the video and does not download it.
If you could somehow tell me how to get the link of the “Download” button into applescript then i can use curl to download it.

I just control-clicked on “Download” button and then clicked “Inspect Element” to get the link. I passed the link to curl and it began downloading it.
How to get the link shown by “Inspect element” into applescript?

Probably you could get the link with do javascript.
Can you post an example URL, I don’t see any double download buttons on keepvid.com

example URL: http://keepvid.com/?url=http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xx0ab_sikanders_bhagvad-gita/video/x5hyvm_krishna-gita-7_shortfilms

the above url will give two download buttons

try this

activate application "Safari"
	tell process "Safari"
		set StatusItem to 1st menu item of menu 1 of menu bar item 5 of menu bar 1 whose title contains "Status"
		tell StatusItem to set StatusBarOff to its title contains "Show" or its title contains "ein"
		if StatusBarOff then display dialog "Enable status bar in Safari and run script again" buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1
		set theLink to value of static text 1 of group 1 of window 1
		set theLink2 to text 8 thru -2 of theLink
	end tell
end tell

tell application "Safari"
	tell window 1 to set current tab to make new tab with properties {URL:"http://keepvid.com/?url=" & theLink2}
	if my page_loaded(20) is false then return
	set num_links to (do JavaScript "document.links.length" in document 1)
	set flag to false
	repeat with i from 0 to num_links - 1
		tell application "Safari" to set current_link to do JavaScript "document.links[" & i & "].href" in document 1
		if current_link contains "h264" then -- eventually there a better pattern to distinguish the proper link
			set flag to true
			exit repeat
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

if flag then
	set {TID, text item delimiters} to {text item delimiters, "/"}
	set theName to last text item of current_link
	set text item delimiters to TID
	do shell script "/usr/bin/curl " & quoted form of current_link & " -o " & quoted form of (POSIX path of (path to desktop) & theName)
end if

on page_loaded(timeout_value) -- in seconds
	repeat timeout_value times
			tell process "Safari"
				set status to value of static text 1 of group 1 of window 1
				if not (status begins with "Contacting" or status begins with "Loading") then return true
			end tell
			delay 1
		end tell
	end repeat
	return false
end page_loaded

many thanks, StefanK. The script is working. The problem is that the program (Quicksilver or Butler) which i use to execute the applescript becomes inactive while the file is being downloaded. All my shortcuts(for launching applications, executing applescripts etc) created in Butler or Quicksilver become inactive.
Is there a particular way (or program) to use this script ? If i run it from the Scripts menu, I won’t be able to set up a keyboard shortcut to it.

For the menu item GUI stuff Safari must be frontmost.
I use FastScripts. The shortcuts work always regardless which application is frontmost

If there was a way to terminate the script after the download begins, then I will be free to use Quicksilver or Butler. Is that possible?

try this

do shell script "/usr/bin/curl " & quoted form of current_link & " -o " & quoted form of (POSIX path of (path to desktop) & theName) & " >/dev/null 2>&1 &"

Vow!!!
thanks.