Learning Shortcuts

I wanted to learn a little about the Shortcuts app and decided to write some simple shortcuts. The general process I followed was:

1. Open the Shortcuts app and select File > New Shortcut.
  2. Click on “Shortcut Name” in the upper-left corner and enter the desired shortcut name.
  3. Search or scroll through actions in the sidebar to find the desired action.
  4. Drag the action found in step 3 into the main window and configure.
  5. After the shortcut is complete, run and make any necessary edits.
  6. Click on the information icon in the upper-right-hand corner of the app, select the Details tab, and enable “Pin in Menu Bar”.
  7. Save the shortcut by closing its window.

Some related information:

• The shortcuts are stored in ~/Library/Shortcuts in a database.
  • You can export and import a shortcut. When exporting, maximum compatibility is achieved by enabling the “Anyone” option.
  • In most cases, I will provide a screenshot of the shortcut, and a link to a shortcut file, which can be downloaded and installed. If a shortcut is downloaded and installed, you will be prompted to set permissions the first time the shortcut is run.
  • The context menu for a shortcut contains an option to place the shortcut in the dock, which can be a convenient method to run a frequently-used shortcut.

This shortcut performs OCR on an image or PDF file and saves the resulting text to a file on the desktop. An error dialog is displayed if the extension of the selected file is not contained in the List action.

OCR Image.shortcut (23.1 KB)

Thanks Fredrik71 for looking at my thread. I assume your comments relate to the shortcut in post 2.

As regards item 1, I modified the shortcut to save the target PDF file to the desktop with the name, “Merged Image Files.pdf”.

As regards item 2, a generic error notification is shown if a selected file cannot be made into a PDF, but I need to improve that. I haven’t yet considered error correction in a shortcut.

As regards item 3, multiple input files are allowed and saved. The way the shortcut is written, you select the input files in a Finder window and then run the shortcut. As originally written, the shortcut prompted the user for a target folder, but I’ve changed that.

Thanks Fredrik71–that’s a useful site. I note that it contains the following:

Anyone is free to download, modify, and redistribute shortcuts from the MacStories archive. Our shortcuts are provided for free and out of love for the Shortcuts automation community. In fact, we encourage readers to download shortcuts and optimize them to their needs. No attribution is necessary, but we always appreciate it.

One of the biggest issues I’ve encountered in running Shortcuts is assigning them a keyboard shortcut. This can be done with a Quick Action, but it doesn’t seem to work very well in my experience. An alternative that is somewhat better in preliminary testing is to create an AppleScript, which I then run by way of FastScripts.

tell application "Shortcuts Events" to run shortcut named "Tile Apps"

The Late Night Software forum contains a thread (by Dirk) that discusses passing a parameter to a shortcut and getting the result back (it can be found here). I decided to investigate how this might work in one use scenario.

The AppleScript is:

set theFolder to (choose folder)
tell application "Shortcuts Events"
	set theFiles to (run shortcut named "Get Files" with input theFolder)
end tell

The shortcut is:

The shortcut returns a list of aliases of files in the target folder and its subfolders, and the timing result with a folder that contained 395 files in 85 folders was 1.214 second, which is clearly a poor result. However, this same general approach could be useful in calling regular macOS apps.

The Shortcuts app has a Run Shell Script action which does a good job. Running a shell command and setting the output to a variable is simple:

Quoting a portion of the command line when that is necessary is fairly straightforward:

Screencapture.shortcut (22.3 KB)

I spent some time investigating date handling in Shortcuts and thought I would summarize available actions.

Date. Returns the current date and time.

Format Date. Separate options are provided for date and time, and these options include none (nothing is returned), short, medium, long, and custom.

Get Dates from Input. This action gets a date from a large number of inputs including text, calendar events, weather conditions, and iTunes and photo media.

Convert Time Zone. Change a date from a specified time zone to a specified time zone. In limited testing, this action appears to respect Daylight Savings Time.

Adjust Date. Add a specified number of date or time intervals to a date.

Get Time between Dates. I’ll use an example here

The following shortcut adds a user-specified time interval to the current date. I wrote this primarily to demonstrate two issues.

Apple encourages the use of Magic (unnamed) Variables, which makes it unnecessary to formally set the output of an action to a Manual Variable. This contributes to code brevity but can make a shortcut difficult to follow. The shortcut contained below uses Magic Variables only.

The Shortcuts app has an if…otherwise…endif statement but that’s all. The workarounds are to nest if statements (which is clumsy), to use multiple consecutive if statements (which can be inefficient), and to use a repeat loop (which doesn’t always work). The shortcut included below use multiple consecutive if statements and doesn’t suffer any inefficiency as a result.

Date Calculator.shortcut (24.0 KB)

Primarily for comparison purposes, I rewrote the above Date Calculator shortcut and incorporated the following changes:

• The allowed date intervals are day, week, month, and year.
  • The shortcut returns a date only.
  • Manual Variables are used where this aids in understanding the flow of the shortcut.
  • Nested if statements are utilized.
  • Date formatting and a copy-to-clipboard option are included.

Date Calculator 1.shortcut (24.6 KB)

Apple states that “a shortcut is a quick way to get one or more tasks done with your apps.” I wasn’t sure how to accomplish this in all circumstances and thought I would quickly summarize what I’ve learned.

You can create shortcuts for specific apps, and a simple example is one that directs the Music app to play a particular song. Shortcuts that fall in this category are run by any of methods described in earlier posts (for example the Shortcuts Menu).

You can also write a shortcut that gets input from a running app and then outputs to the app. The following shortcut–which alphabetically sorts lines of selected text–is a good example. This shortcut can be run by way of an app’s Services menu or a keyboard shortcut but not by way of the Shortcuts Menu or a dock icon.

Sort Lines.shortcut (21.8 KB)

The Shortcuts app has a search and replace action, and it includes support for regular expressions. The following removes all leading and trailing horizontal whitespace in input text. The word World is a placeholder only.

The Shortcuts app also has a Match Text action that returns a list of strings that match a regular expression. For example:

A while back, a forum member requested help with an AppleScript that created an individual archive of a large number of selected folders (here). Just for learning purposes, I wrote a Shortcut solution. Please note that the following screenshot only shows a portion of the shortcut.

Zip Folders.shortcut (23.1 KB)

Before moving on, I thought I would add a mea culpa regarding Magic Variables. At first I took these to be little more than unnamed variables that are available throughout a shortcut. They are that, but they also allow you to directly access the properties of items.

The above is demonstrated in the shortcut contained below where all of the following are used without setting a single variable:

• The x- and y-position of the frontmost window.
  • The width and height of the frontmost window.
  • The current time with a custom format.

Some users will prefer to set variables directly, but Magic Variables are a worthwhile alternative.

Windowcapture.shortcut (22.7 KB)

This shortcut prompts the user to select two windows in a dialog, after which these windows are tiled to the left and right sides of the screen. The following screenshot shows only the first portion of the shortcut.

Window Tile.shortcut (23.1 KB)

This shortcut moves and resizes the frontmost app to the values specified in the Dictionary action. A few comments:

• If an app is not in the dictionary, a default value is used.
  • The shortcut will not run properly from a Sonoma widget.
  • The following screenshot only shows the first section of the shortcut.

App Arrange.shortcut (24.3 KB)

BTW, dictionaries can input and output text formatted as a JSON object, and the Dictionary action in the above shortcut can be replaced with:

Getting values from a JSON object can be a bit involved for those of us with a limited knowledge of this topic, and I wrote an example for learning purposes. The following contains arrays within dictionaries within a dictionary:

The following Text action contains the above dictionary formatted as a JSON object, and the shortcut gets the value of one item of an array using dot notation (the 1 at the end refers to item 1 of the array):

See here: Example of passing parameters to a Shortcut and getting the return - #2 by Dirk - AppleScript - Late Night Software Ltd.

There does not appear to be a direct method to exit a repeat loop when a condition is met. One approach–which is used in several posts on Reddit–is that taken below, which does not actually exit the loop and instead does nothing. Another approach appears to be to place the repeat loop in a separate shortcut and to use the Stop Shortcut action to exit the repeat loop.

The following screenshot only shows a portion of the shortcut.

Exit Repeat Loop.shortcut (22.5 KB)

When running a shell script action, a string of quoted file paths is often required. The following demonstrates a simple method by which this can be done.

Screencapture Display.shortcut (22.6 KB)