List

I have a question, I have a huge text file in which each word is on a new line.
How can I write an Applescript to chose the (x) word as text?

Hi,

Maybe code as follows gets you started:

on run
	set chosenfile to my askforfile()
	if chosenfile is missing value then
		return
	end if

set paras to paragraphs of (read chosenfile)

set num to askfornumber()
	if num is not missing value then
		if num > (length of paras) or num < 0 then
			display dialog "Sorry, word number " & num & " does not exist!" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon stop
		else
			display dialog "Word " & (num as text) & ":" & return & (item num of paras) buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
		end if
	end if
end run

on askforfile()
	try
		set chosenfile to choose file with prompt "Please choose a text file:" without multiple selections allowed
	on error
		return missing value
	end try
end askforfile

on askfornumber()
	try
		display dialog "Please enter a number:" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button 2 with icon note
		set dlgresult to result
		set userinput to text returned of dlgresult
		try
			set useriput to userinput as number
			return userinput
		on error
			my askfornumber()
		end try
	on error
		return missing value
	end try
end askfornumber

Best regards from Berlin,

Martin

Ok the script works but when I modify it to chose the items automatically it stops at reading the file
I wanted it to read item 1 on first repeat, item 2 on second, ect so I made this modification

on run
	set dlgresult to "0"
	set chosenfile to my askforfile()
	if chosenfile is missing value then
		return
	end if

set paras to paragraphs of (read chosenfile)

set num to askfornumber()
	if num is not missing value then
		if num > (length of paras) or num < 0 then
			display dialog "Sorry, word number " & num & " does not exist!" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon stop
		else
			display dialog "Word " & (num as text) & ":" & return & (item num of paras) buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
		end if
	end if
end run

on askforfile()
	try
		set chosenfile to choose file with prompt "Please choose a text file:" without multiple selections allowed
	on error
		return missing value
	end try
end askforfile

on askfornumber()
	try
		set userinput to dlgresult
		try
			set useriput to userinput as number
			return userinput
		on error
			my askfornumber()
		end try
	on error
		return missing value
	end try
end askfornumber

I was going to add a counter but it stopped working so I just stopped editing till I got a real result.

But with huge text files I was wondering how huge it really is because when exceeding 80,000 lines you should consider AWK. AWK can find a line within very short time even if you exceed a GB of data (or millions of lines).

do shell script "awk 'NR==123456{print;exit}' /path/to/file" --123456 has to be replaced with the actual line number

Reading a file the first loop en then read the file a second loop can be expensive, depending how far you’ll go. If you want to loop through the whole list I should look into something like this.

set theLines to every paragraph of read file theFile

repeat with theLine in theLines
--do you stuff here 

end

This way the file is parsed and put into the memory once instead of reading and parsing the same file over and over again.