looking for documentation on «class aSes» etc.

I’m trying to suss out the sample scripts for Transmit FTP, and am stumped by statements like these:

tell «class aSes» of document 1
if («event SeSncONT» given «class sRVR»:“ftp.someserver.com”) then

because I don’t understand “«class aSes»” and the like and I haven’t found it in the documentation. I understand that it’s a class, but I don’t see the class defined in the script itself, and I don’t find it in the Transmit dictionary. Are these Applescript classes, or some kind of custom class? Can you define a class just by using it like that (like assigning a value to a variable)?

Please help an Applescript noob help himself!

Tell us what you entered in your script that produced those results. Is Transmit on the machine you ran the editor on? Have you received this script from someone else?

The lines quoted are from one of the sample scripts that Panic provides for their Transmit FTP client. They are just a random sample. I haven’t tried to run the script as I know it’s not designed to do what I want.

I’m just trying to understand it so that I can modify it. What are these strange entities enclosed in double angle brackets? I can’t find them referenced anywhere in the Applescript documentation or in the scripts themselves.

hi brickler,

i believe those are Apple Events. although they can be useful to know, and they are an underlying technology for AppleScript, you don’t actually have to use Apple Events to program in AppleScript.

cheers.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t this happen if you are running a version of AppleScript that is older and does not have the capabilities to compile that part of the code?

PreTech

Thanks very much, guys, for the answers. I guess it’s good news that I don’t have to use Apple Events, if that’s what they are; then I don’t have to understand them :confused: