Microsoft Word Updating Fields

I want to update all fields in a Microsoft Word Document in both the main story and the second page header story. So far the closest I can get to updating the fields in the main story is

tell application "Microsoft Word"
	update every field of active document	
end tell

This command however takes an excessively long time, requiring me to force quit the application.

Manually, I can easily update the fields via a GUI by clicking Word’s menu item Select All or by the following script

tell application "System Events"
	tell application process "Microsoft Word"
		tell menu bar 1
			tell its menu bar item "Edit"
				tell its menu "Edit"
					click its menu item "Select All"	
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Whereas when I manually control click on the window after All is selected, a drop down menu appears with a command to Update Field, I’m unable to script the window to show that drop down menu, using AppleScript.

1. What UI script will show a drop down menu in a Microsoft Word window, after all of its text is selected, and then click on the Update Field command?
  2. Is there a more simple Microsoft Word AppleScript that will update all fields in Microsoft Word?

After posting the above to Scripting Forums, I found that Microsoft’s key command to update its fields is initiated by pressing F9. Using a post from KniazidisR at clicking-fn-and-enter-together-code-63-not-working, I assembled the following code:

tell application process "Microsoft Word"
		tell menu bar 1
			tell its menu bar item "Edit"
				tell its menu "Edit"
					click its menu item "Select All"
					delay 0.2
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell
	key down 63 -- press "Fn" key
	key code 101 --key "F9" ( functional key to update fields in MW)
	key up 63 --release "Fn" key
	end tell
end tell

But unfortunately this failed for me, so my questions remain. I appreciate any insights to this problem.

A couple of things…

Word can have multiple keyboard shortcuts for a given command. In my setup (word 2011), command-option-shift-U is also a shortcut for ‘update field’. My version of Word has Tools > Customize Keyboard…, in which you can both view and create shortcuts. From that dialogue, look for the ‘Insert’ category and then for the ‘UpdateFields’ command and you should see what commands are set for it. If it only has F9, then you can easily add one that doesn’t require the function key and then have your script operate accordingly. Here is an example:

Note that I use the regular approach to select all text within the document.

activate
	select text object of document 1 -- equivalent to select all

tell application process "Microsoft Word" -- key code 32 is the letter 'u'
			key code 32 using {command down, option down, shift down}
		end tell
	end tell
end tell
1 Like

How many fields does your document have?

By the way, here is the native way to update all fields… by using a repeat loop:

tell document 1

set fieldList to fields
		repeat with ef in fieldList
			update field ef
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

The update field command is intended for use on an individual field.

By the way, if you wished to update only a range of fields, you could do something like this: define a text object that includes the desired fields, and then update the fields within that range.

tell document 1
		set t1 to create range start 0 end 200 -- first 200 characters of document
		select t1 -- not necessary but allows you to see affected area

set fieldList to fields of t1
		repeat with ef in fieldList
			update field ef
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

And of course, since you’re working with a list, you can also use that to control which fields are updated.

1 Like

Mockman, thanks so much for your great insights!

I combined your two ideas of creating a custom command in Microsoft Word, and then calling that custom key binding from System Events.

The following AppleScript directs Microsoft to:

1. Designate Microsoft Word’s Normal template as the reference in which to store new key bindings
  2. Build a key code pattern using four keys: command, option ( which Microsoft Word designates as alt), shift, and the letter “u”(which Microsoft Word designates as u_kwy. The designation kwy is not a typo but is for reasons not clear to me, Microsoft’s unusual designation for the u key. )
  3. Assign a key binding to Microsoft Word’s command to update fields
  4. Execute the keybinding

#	Set  template  object  representing  the template to store new key bindings changes.
	set customization context to normal template

#	Build unique pattern with specified key combination 
	set KeyCode to (build key code key1 command_key ¬
		key2 key alt ¬
		key3 shift_key ¬
		key4 u_kwy)

#	Create custom key binding assignment for the command "UpdateFields" in the customization context
	make new key binding with properties ¬
		{key code:KeyCode, key category:key category command, command:"UpdateFields"}

#	Execute the command associated with the key code specified key combination		
	execute key binding (find key key code KeyCode)
end tell

The result, which I was seeking, does not stall or occupy excessive time that my original AppleScript required as Microsoft looped through all the fields in a document, but operates more like Microsoft’s UI Update Fields command, or even like Microsoft’s VBA UpdateFields command.

That’s a different approach but I’m glad it works for you. I guess that sometimes, the key shortcut is the quickest approach.

One thing though… you should find that you only have to update the template once and after that, any document based upon the normal template will have access to that functionality.

Mockman, yes I agree with you that the Normal Template needs updating only once. I found it, however of interest, that no error occurred from rewriting or overwriting the Microsoft Word’s key codes, even when the AppleScript was repeated.

That makes sense. I don’t think it will ever generate any errors — it’s just that the setting gets set to the same thing again and again and there really isn’t an advantage in doing so.

I think, following should work, but I can’t test it. (Microsoft apps not installed on my Mac).

tell application "Microsoft Word" to tell active document
   ignoring application responses
      update its fields
   end ignoring
end tell

or,

ignoring application responses
   tell application "Microsoft Word" to tell active document
      update its fields
   end tell
end ignoring

Also, try to tell to front document, or to document 1. I am not sure active document works on all versions.