Modify iCal end time.

I have a scenario where I want to change the end date of a event, so that we can see how long this event took. I can add a start and end time with the script below, but this is not a true reflection of the process. So what I need is to be able to find the event and then change its end time.
Any ideas.

tell application "iCal"
	set thedate to current date
	activate
	if not (exists calendar "TESTING") then
		create calendar with name "TESTING"
	end if

tell calendar "TESTING"
		make new event at end of events with properties {summary:"TESTING", start date:thedate, end date:(thedate + 720)}
	end tell
end tell

Hi,

If you have given a specific name for your event (or summary) then you could identify that event and extract its end date property.

Below is a simple script that pulls out a specific event that I created in iCal and named it “Start Safari”. The script extracts the “Start Safari” event and gives the start date and end date accordingly. Once you have these data, you should be able to change them programmatically.

tell application "iCal"
	activate
	set thisCalendar to "Home"
	set i to 0
	repeat with i from 1 to count of events of calendar thisCalendar
		set thisEvent to event i of calendar thisCalendar
		if summary of event i of calendar thisCalendar is equal to "Start Safari" then
			beep
			display dialog "This is the start date of this event: " & start date of thisEvent --returns start date of thisEvent
			display dialog "This is the end date of this event: " & end date of thisEvent --returns end date of thisEvent
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

Good luck.

archseed :smiley:

many thanks.
that helped massively.
Here is the code

tell application "iCal"
	set thedate to current date
	set thiscal to "yourcalendar"
	repeat with i from 1 to count of events of calendar thiscal
		set thisevent to event i of calendar thiscal
		if summary of event i of calendar thiscal is equal to "eventname" then
			set end date of event i of calendar thiscal to (thedate + 13600)
			display dialog "the end date is:" & end date of thisevent
		end if
	end repeat
end tell