move and retain file structure

Howdy all,

If you recall my last project (The devhook one posted in the PPC vs Intel thread)… I spent some time trying to track down the bug, but with no luck. So I decided to start fresh, and this time, using AS Studio to make a GUI.

The learning curve hasn’t been too bad, (yet, anyways) and I’ve actually got a majority of my stuff working.

Here’s what I’m trying to do now, as a bit of a code improvement.

well… first… an example of the kind of file tree we’d be dealing with

and the memory stick we’d be transfering to would be /memstick/psp/game/ and /memstick/

Now, what I’d like to do is basically "Take everything except the readme from ‘myfolder’, and move it to the identical folders on memstick, but don’t replace any folders’.

Now, I could do this using several variables, but if there is any way to make it simpler, it would be appreciated.

Any suggustions? I think I explained that well enough…

-Parrot

By ‘don’t replace any folders’ do you mean merge the folders together, so that items in one folder get copied to the folder at the same point in the folder tree as the source. Are files allowed to be replaced in this situation?

basically, if I have my folder

and my memory stick

I would like to end up with

using as few variables/move statements as possible.

Coudl you take something like this and modify it? (Merge Folder 1.0.1)

-- Version 1.0.1
on run
	choose folder with prompt "Get contents of these folders:" default location (path to home folder) ¬
		with showing package contents and multiple selections allowed
	open (result)
end run

on open droppedItems
	choose folder with prompt "Merge into this folder:" default location (path to home folder) ¬
		with showing package contents
	set target to quoted form of POSIX path of result

display dialog "How to handle existing files?" buttons {"Overwrite", "Cancel", "Skip"} default button 3
	if (button returned of result) is "Overwrite" then
		set overwriteOption to "f"
	else
		set overwriteOption to "n"
	end if

repeat with thisItem in droppedItems
		if (folder of (info for thisItem without size)) is true then
			get quoted form of POSIX path of thisItem

try
				do shell script "cd " & result & "; /bin/cp -RP" & overwriteOption & " ./* " & target
			on error errorMsg number errorNum
				display dialog "Error (" & errorNum & "):" & return & return & errorMsg buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon caution
			end try
		end if
	end repeat

display dialog "Script finished." buttons "OK" default button 1 with icon note
end open