Moving input focus in Mail

I have an email<–>SMS gateway provider that accepts SMSs in the form phonenumber@their.domain.com.au, so I have written an AppleScript address book plugin to set up an email to send an SMS to any given phone number.

This is the script I have currently:

using terms from application "Address Book"
	on action property
		return "phone"
	end action property

on action title for aPerson with aPhone
		return "SMS With MessageNet"
	end action title

on should enable action for aPerson with aPhone
		return true
	end should enable action

on perform action for aPerson with aPhone
		set fullName to (name of aPerson as string)

set telephone to ""
		if value of aPhone is not missing value then set telephone to value of aPhone

-- TODO Remove any non-number characters from the string
		-- Hack for now: Remove spaces
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " "
		set telephone to telephone's text items
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
		set telephone to "" & telephone
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}

set emailAddress to telephone & "@messagenet.com.au"

tell application "Mail"
			set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"", content:""}
			tell newMessage
				make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:emailAddress, name:fullName}
				set visible to true
			end tell
			activate
		end tell
	end perform action
end using terms from

It works perfectly except that the gateway wants the SMS in the email body and Mail.app defaults to leaving the focus in the email subject which is ignored. This is not a huge problem, except that it’s bugging me that I can’t figure out how to fix it - I tried putting four “keystroke tab” lines after the “activate” line to move the focus, with and without various delays, but they don’t seem to DO anything and I can’t figure out why…

Also, would anybody have the slightest idea why this script works in Leopard but not Tiger? I couldn’t get it to set the recipient properly previously, but once I installed Leopard it worked right away. Weirdness.

Thanks in advance,
Ricky

Hi,

try this

tell application "Mail"
	set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"", content:""}
	tell newMessage
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:emailAddress, name:fullName}
		set visible to true
	end tell
	activate
	tell application "System Events"
		set value of attribute "AXFocused" of last scroll area of window 1 of process "Mail" to true
	end tell
end tell

Thank you so much - that’s exactly what I needed. Now it’s perfect :wink:

Is there any magic way of knowing what field is named what, or is it trial and error? I’m new to this…

r

No magic, I’m using an UI Element browser like PreFab’s UI Browser

Thanks again. I keep meaning to look at that for the accessibility testing options, so now I have two reasons. Right now, I’m just happy with the SMS plugin :slight_smile:

r