Music.app: Launch command blocks the quit command for 1-3 seconds?

With delay smaller than 4 seconds, following script blocks Music.app quitting on my Catalina. It is very strange behaviour, I can’t understand how this happens - I can’t even automate the delay with checking running property.

Any working solution to automate the delay?

tell application "Music"
	launch -- or, activate
	delay 1 -- little delay blocks quitting 
	quit
end tell
-- NOTE: doesn't quit after this script execution even manual way)

I tried following, but it doesn’t solve the problem:

tell application "Music"
	launch -- or, activate
	repeat until (get its running) is true
		delay 0.2
	end repeat
	quit
end tell

Following doesn’t solve the problem, as well:

tell application "Music"
	launch -- or, activate
	get properties
	quit
end tell

It is working with Big Sur.
I can’t test it with Catalina, sorry.

KniazidisR. FWIW, all three of your scripts without modification work fine on my computer with Catalina.

Thanks for testing, @peavine.

I will try to restart my computer. Haven’t turned it off for a long time, so there may be some kind of failure.

UPDATE: I restarted my Mac. The problem remain.

With 4 seconds delay (or bigger) the script works stable. But I can’t understand why so big delay is required on my machine. Maybe, I have some iTunes leftovers, I will check:

tell application "Music"
	launch -- or, activate
	delay 4
	quit
end tell

KniazidisR. One thing I didn’t mention but should have is that I do not use the Music app to store or play songs. The reason I mention this is the thought that reading or other activities relating to a large song catalog might make a difference.

Is there a command other than ‘quit’ that can be tested similarly?

I have not seen such behavior with other commands yet. Fortunately.

Basically, the problem with quit is small. If there are other commands between the launch/activate command and the quit command, everything works fine. I think because they return a result as opposed to activation. I just wanted to quickly get all the properties of Music.app and quit it.

Hi, @Fredrik71.

Thanks for your post. I tried it - the properties are returned quicker, but 4 seconds problem with Music.app quitting remain. I tested this:

use framework "ScriptingBridge"

set iTunesApp to current application's SBApplication's applicationWithBundleIdentifier:"com.apple.Music"
set iTunesProperties to iTunesApp's |properties|() as record -- 1.52 seconds so far
-- delay 2.5 -- without this quitting fails (1.52 + 2.5) = > 4 seconds
tell application id "com.apple.Music" to quit

return iTunesProperties

It worked some attempts, now it fails again. The problem is - it isn’t stable.