Newbie, help please

So I’ve decided to teach myself Applescript. I am trying to make a little app that opens a dialog box with two buttons. Either button opens a new dialog box, each with its own buttons, and depending on the series of buttons you’ve pressed it will perform a action. However I am having trouble getting it to work. What I have so far is

display dialog "Choose Wisely." buttons ["Life", "Death"] default button 2

try
	if button returned of the result is "Death" then tell application "Finder"
		activate
		open document file "Inferno.gif" of folder "Desktop" of folder "Friend" of folder "Users" of startup disk
		display dialog "You Have Chosen Poorly" buttons ["I Recant", "Good"]
		if button returned of the result is "Good" then tell the application "Finder" to shut down
	end tell
	display dialog "You Have Choosen Wisely." buttons ["Here Is Thy Due Reward"] default button 1
	try
		if button returned of the result is "Here Is Thy Due Reward" then tell application "Finder"
			activate
			open document file "Heaven.jpg" of folder "Desktop" of folder "Friend" of folder "Users" of startup disk
		end tell

end try
end try

Ok so when you click “Death” it opens the dialog box “You have chosen poorly” with the buttons “I Recant” and the indifferent “Good”.
When You click on “I Recant” it pops you back into the “You have chosen wisely” dialog box and its button “Here is thy due reward” opens the image file. But if you choose to damn yourself (so to speak) and click the button good in the dialog box “You have chosen poorly” then it initiates the shutdown, which is what I want, but it also pops you back into the “You have chosen wisely” dialog box.

I think its some sort of loop, but I dont know how to do that yet. Obviously if your indifferent and you choose “good”, you have no desire to view heaven, so your computer should shut down, and not tell you the you have chosen wisely and open up the heaven image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im ready to learn.

Model: MacBook Pro
Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Hi Andrew,

the if - then structure is wrong.
Without an end if only the same line will be executed, if the condition is true
Note: The “root” folder of the Finder is the desktop folder of the current user, so the path is not needed

display dialog "Choose Wisely." buttons ["Life", "Death"] default button 2

if button returned of result is "Death" then
	try
		tell application "Finder" to open file "Inferno.gif"
	end try
	display dialog "You Have Chosen Poorly" buttons ["I Recant", "Good"]
	if button returned of the result is "Good" then tell application "Finder" to shut down
else
	display dialog "You Have Choosen Wisely." buttons ["Here Is Thy Due Reward"] default button 1
	if button returned of result is "Here Is Thy Due Reward" then
		try
			tell application "Finder" to open file "Heaven.jpg"
		end try
	end if
end if