newbie. isbn converison w/ filemaker 4 as DB.

i have a filemaker data base FM4. i have a very large library that i have manually typed in the isbn of the book into a field called “ISBN”. i need to convert the isbn to the “ean” number (bar code). example: the isbn of book A is: 438510347X the “ean” number for this is: 9784385103471

i can create a field called “EAN” in the inventory file of the db near the isbn field, but i am a bit stumped as to how to create the script. can anyone help?

i did a google search and found this calculation for the isbn to ean.

my friend did a perl conversion script, but we had no success. since i am using filemaker on an apple OS9 enviornment, i was wondering if applescript wouldn’t be a better choice if imbedded in filemaker to convert current list of many isbn already manually entered. the perl script is as follows:

This is an old script I had for ISBN to EAN conversion:

You could write another routine that loops trough your database, grabs the ISBN for each record, calculates the EAN, and populates the EAN field:

Jon

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

The ISBN to EAN routine could be condensed down to:

Jon

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

how do i embed the script to filemaker.

what file should i attach it to, the EAN field?

also, this part at the begining the script set EAN to my ISBN_to_EAN(“438510347X”)
–>“9784385103471”
do i remove it to also convert the other isbn’s in my database.

i have created a test database called “isbn_to_ean_test”. i have created 2 fields. 1st is call ISBN.

the second is called EAN.

once i test it, i will them move it to the real DB called MitsuLibrayDB, in the “inventory” modual, layout “Main View”.

tick is how to imbed the script into filemaker and i’m doing something wong.

how do i embed the script to filemaker.

Paste into a Perform AppleScript script step.
You can/should remove the lines: “tell FileMaker Pro” and its “end tell” (carefully). These are not needed inside FileMaker (but are in Script Editor).

what file should i attach it to, the EAN field?

It’s a script, in the file. It’s not “attached” to a field. The fields are specified in the AppleScript.

The fields named “EAN” and “ISBN” should be on the layout when the script is run (easiest); you can switch there in the FileMaker script.

set EAN to my ISBN_to_EAN(“438510347X”)
–>“9784385103471”
do i remove it to also convert the other isbn’s in my database.

Yes, remove it, or --comment it out. It’s just an example.