Newbie Question-Password Protection For Applications

Hello, All!

I am new to AppleScript and I have a question.

Is it possible to create a script that will require a password to open applications such as Internet Explorer and Entourage?

I would appreciate any help you could give on this matter.

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Only if a script is the sole method that users have to open Explorer and Entourage. In other words, a script could be written to open the applications, and it could require a password before doing so, but they could still open the apps through normal methods.

One option might be to place the applications on a disk or disk image that is password protected. I haven’t tried this but it seems like it ought to work.

I don’t know of a way to do this on a per-application basis, but one might attach a folder action to said Mac’s Applications folder which asks for a password.

Something like:

on opening folder theFolder
	set thePassword to "opensesame"
	set theAnswer to text returned of (display dialog "Please enter the password..." buttons {"Cancel", "Proceed"} default answer "")
	if theAnswer is not equal to thePassword then
		tell application "Finder"
			close folder theFolder
		end tell
	end if
end opening folder

Of course, this assumes your users aren’t smart enough to merely “Detach folder action…” from the folder in question. :?:

Easy enough to create a script that requires a “password” before it does anything. But I’m assuming you want to prevent non password-toting users from accessing these apps at all, and I don’t think AS will help you there.

Maybe you could set up multiple user accounts? Create a password-protected account that allows access to IE and E’rage, and a limited guest account that doesn’t. (See Multiple Users control panel in OS 9, Accounts in OS X.)

HTH

Thank you so much for all your help!

I am really glad that I have found a place to come for help on AppleScript.

Everyone has been go great!!

Thanks again!!