Newbie Question....

I am a complete newbie, so I really have no clue what I’m doing. I’ve read some tutorials, so I have a few of the basics down, but I’m having a hard time finding what I need.

Basically, I’m looking for a way for a dialog box to come up at a few minutes before the top of the hour to remind me to do something. Theoretically, I’d launch the script, and it would remind me every hour at :55 minutes (6:55, 7:55, 8:55, etc…). Then I’d love to have a record as to when I actually did it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

card9inal:

You would either be looking at a Stay Open Idle script or setting a script to launch with Cron/Launchd depending on what OS you’re running. Results could be easily written to a text file. Either way - it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Jim Neumann
BLUEFROG

This is a modification of a script by Nigel Garvey (one of our moderators) that I use to chime the hours on my machine. You save it as a stay-open application, quit it from the dock. (I’ve set it to go off at the 55 minute mark of any hour, and to warn you if you start just after that. Warnings stop at the hour. I may have the idle time set incorrectly, but didn’t wait to see. If I do, I’ll have to ask Nigel.

on idle
	local h
	tell ((time of (current date)) + 300)
		set h to ((it div hours + 11) mod 12) + 1
		tell (it mod hours)
			if (it < 10) then
				-- If it's now less than ten seconds after an hour, chime.
				my tellMe(h)
			else if (it < 300) then
				-- Otherwise, if it's within the first five minutes, make a belated announcement.
				my waffle(h)
			end if
		end tell

-- Idle until the next five-minute boundary.
		return (86399 - it) mod 300 + 1 -- ie. (days - (time of (current date)) - 1) mod (5 * minutes) + 1
	end tell
end idle

to tellMe(h)
	display dialog "Tell me Something" giving up after 5 * minutes
end tellMe

on waffle(h)
	say "Oops! It's a little past " & h & " o'clock." -- if you start just after the 55 minute mark
end waffle