Open QuarkXpress6 and QuarkXpress5

Hi,
i need to convert QuarkXpress 6.0 Documents to Quark 4. The only way is saving the documents in QXP 6 as QXP 5. Then open QXP 5 and save as QXP 4.
I defined a folder action which opens the documents and perform an automatic save. This works for each version of QXP.
My idea was to write a script which opens QXP 6
tell application “QuarXpress6”

end tell
tell application “QuarkXpress5”

end tell
I renamed both applications, but at the second tell statement the script uses always QXP 6.
I have no idea to solve this problem.
Thanks for any help

Ulrich

Try adding a reference to the app “HDDrive:Applications (Mac OS 9):QuarkXpress5:QuarkXpress5”

Thank you,

that works very well.

Hello,
I’m trying to do exactly the same thing using an applet, but it seems to only work intermittently, and only on my machine. (I’m working in an environment in which the directories on the workstations are all named the same way, so the file paths to the applications shouldn’t be an issue…)

Can you tell me where I’m messing up, or maybe advice as to how to rewrite it so it works?

on open these_items

tell application "Finder"
		repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items
			set this_item to (item i of these_items)
			copy this_item as alias to filePath
			open item this_item
			delay 5
			tell application "Software:Applications:QuarkXPress 6.1:QuarkXPress:"
				tell document 1
					save version vers 50
				end tell
				close document 1 saving no
			end tell
			tell application "Software:Applications (Mac OS 9):QuarkXPress 5:QuarkXPressâ„¢"
				activate
				open filePath remap fonts no
				tell document 1
					save version vers 40
				end tell
				close document 1 saving no
			end tell
		end repeat
	end tell
end open

Thanks for any help you can give!
Dave

All,

Wouldn't a PDF or EPS be a much simpler solution ? I understand that there are people that don't have the latest version of Quark. Support of such legacy software (in my opinion) be limited. If you give your client an EPS or PDF they can import that into Quark 4 however saving your 6 files down to 4 via 5 your just asking for trouble. 

Just my two cents
mm