Opening text file in Quicktime Pro and saving it as .mov

Once again I’m a pretty green when it comes to Applescript, I’ve basically been taking scripts that I’ve found and trying to rework them to fit my need. I’ve got an apple script that was originally intended to batch export a bunch of quicktime mov files with the most recent settings, worked great. Now what I would like to do is open a number of txt files with quicktime 7 and then save that resulting mov file. Basically I’m creating closed captioning movies that I will then add to another mov file. Here is the script I’m trying to manipulate. This actually ran, and did create an output folder on my desktop but it was empty. I know I need to tell it to save to the output_file or folder or something but I just can’t figure out how to word that.

with timeout of 86400 seconds

display dialog "Before beginning batch processing, make sure QuickTime Player is set to the desired export settings, and all videos to be processed are in a folder named ˜Input' on the desktop." with icon note

tell application "Finder"
		set the startup_disk to the name of the startup disk
	end tell

set user to do shell script "whoami"
	set input_folder_name to "Input"
	set input_folder to startup_disk & ":Users:" & user & ":Desktop:" & input_folder_name & ":"
	set user_desktop to startup_disk & ":Users:" & user & ":Desktop:"
	set output_folder to startup_disk & ":Users:" & user & ":Desktop:Output:"
	set file_extension to "_export.mov"

try
			make new folder at user_desktop with properties {name:"Output"}
		end tell
	end try

try
		set the_folder_list to list folder input_folder without invisibles
		repeat with x from 1 to count of the_folder_list
			set the_file to input_folder & item x of the_folder_list
			set output_file to output_folder & item x of the_folder_list & file_extension
			tell application "QuickTime Player 7"
				activate
				open the_file
				save the_file
				close front document
			end tell
		end repeat
	on error
		display dialog "This script requires a folder named ˜" & input_folder_name & "˜ located on the desktop." with icon stop
	end try

beep

end timeout

Any help would also be greatly appreciated!

OK, with a little noodling around I think I figured it out…seems to work anyway. In case someone else is looking for the same thing here is the script:

with timeout of 86400 seconds

display dialog "Before beginning batch processing, make sure QuickTime Player is set to the desired export settings, and all videos to be processed are in a folder named ˜Input' on the desktop." with icon note

set the startup_disk to the name of the startup disk
	end tell

set user to do shell script "whoami"
	set input_folder_name to "Input"
	set input_folder to startup_disk & ":Users:" & user & ":Desktop:" & input_folder_name & ":"
	set user_desktop to startup_disk & ":Users:" & user & ":Desktop:"
	set output_folder to startup_disk & ":Users:" & user & ":Desktop:Output:"
	set file_extension to "_export.mov"

try
			make new folder at user_desktop with properties {name:"Output"}
		end tell
	end try

try
		set the_folder_list to list folder input_folder without invisibles
		repeat with x from 1 to count of the_folder_list
			set the_file to input_folder & item x of the_folder_list
			set output_file to output_folder & item x of the_folder_list & file_extension
			tell application "QuickTime Player 7"
				activate
				open the_file
				save front document in output_file
				close front document
			end tell
		end repeat
	on error
		display dialog "This script requires a folder named ˜" & input_folder_name & "˜ located on the desktop." with icon stop
	end try

beep

end timeout

jstancil:

You can sub out your whoami, etc. with (path to desktop) to get the path to the current User’s Desktop.

Cheers!
Jim
BLUEFROG

Cool, thanks Jim