Outlook Express & printing

I would like to be able to select a group of emails in outlook Express, then select print and have them all print with embeded graphics.

I have not been able to write or find a script to overcome this limitation.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

This should get you going though I cannot test if it prints embedded graphics. My printer is on the fritz.

tell application "Outlook Express"
	set currMsgs to get the current messages--get the currently selected or open message
	repeat with thisMsg in currMsgs--repeat with all found to be selected or the current open message
		print thisMsg--print 
	end repeat
end tell

*NOTE: If you have a message open it will only see the open message.

I would think it would be just like if you were to print the email manually - I use OE5 at work and it prints graphics. I have my preferences set to display attached images in the message though.

Save the above code as a compiled script and place it in your Script Menu Items folder so you can access it from the script menu in OE.
(You probably already knew that)

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunately the embedded graphics didn’t show in the print out. The result was the same as selecting a group of emails and hitting print.

If you have any other ideas, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yep, I tested it at work and sure enough - no embedded images. I did find a few strange things that do raise a few questions. Maybe someone out there is a little more savvy in OE and can answer them.

I use OE to send HTML reports, basically a web page in the message along with tables, linked images, and formatted text. If I print when the message is open I lose the HTML formatting. BUT if I change the print settings to include the background it prints the email as it was meant to be seen, with formatting. This can be done by selecting “Outlook Express” from the drop down menu in the print screen. This only appears when the message has embedded images, or HTML so if you don’t see it your message may not need the background printed.

The problem is, I cannot get OE to remember it should be printing the background. I’ve printed, saved print settings, everything. It just defaults back to not printing the background. Is there a way to set this via AS, or save a pref somewhere? If this was possible then the following script would work for you:

tell application "Outlook Express"
	set currMsgs to get the current messages --get the currently selected or open message 
	repeat with thisMsg in currMsgs --repeat with all found to be selected or the current open message 
		open thisMsg --open the message
		print thisMsg --print 
		set msgName to the name of thisMsg --get the name of the window (subject of email?)
		close window msgName --close the window by name
	end repeat
end tell

Another strange happening here. I am able to open a message by referring to thisMsg which is essentially a reference to an item in a list of selected messages. But when I want to use the code “close thisMsg” it throws a fit. Why would I be able to open thisMsg but not close it? I had to use the name of the window to close it, fine, whatever. It just irks me.

Anyway, I hope someone out there can shed some light on the whole saved print settings thing for us.

Best,