Photo Script

Hopefully this is the right forum and the right question. I hae always let the machine do the work for me and I would like to learn how to make it do something I want to do.

I transmit photos from the field via ftp and email quite a bit. The problem I am having is with email. I would like to know how to create a script (is that the right term) to have images emailed immediately after I save them to a specific folder. I also need that email to have a short blurb about the photo - a brief caption.

Any ideas?

Using OS X 10.4 on a PB starting monday, still using my old PB Ti 867 (dont laugh) with 10.3.9 until then.

Cheers

Joe

Model: PB Al 15’ 1.67
Browser: Safari
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.3.9)

What you want is called a “Folder Action Script”. This is an AppleScript attached to a folder so that every time something changes in the folder, the action is taken (so you can’t rename something in a folder action unless you move it out of the folder too, because the renamed file left in place would be “new” and you see where that would go).

What you’re asking for is a Folder Action that recognizes that a photo has been dropped on it (so you won’t be doing this by mistake), then opens an email in your email client with an address and subject line in place, then attaches the photo to the email. Done. You type something in the body of the email and send it.

If that sounds right, you should search the forums here for hints on how to do those things for whatever emailer you use, and then ask more specific questions that include the name of the emailer you use and the extension on the photo.

You don’t say what the “Blurb” would be either do you want this to be an auto generated file. There is the possibility that you could extract the XMP metadata from your pictures to make this if you have this info. Not something I have done personally yet but may be worth a look.