Popup button selection

Hi
The script below basically inserts file names into a popup button when the button “SK_KNIVES” is clicked , I then select from the popup button, click “get” then “Illustrator opens the selected file”.
The problem is a error, which says “Can’t make «class titl» of «class cuMI» of «class popB» “_itemlist” into type reference. (-1700)”, ive tried using “alias” etc after “popup button “_itemlist” or” open _selecteditem" but have had no success, can someone please point out what I am missing, to have Illustrator activate the selected file in the popup button.

on clicked theObject
	if name of theObject is "SK_KNIVES" then
		set _path to "Macintosh HD:Users:Desktop:"
		tell application "Finder"
			set _list to name of every file of folder _path
		end tell
		tell window "main"
			delete every menu item of menu of popup button "_itemlist"
			repeat with each_Item in _list
				make new menu item at the end of menu items of menu of popup button "_itemlist" with properties {name:each_Item, title:each_Item, enabled:true}
			end repeat
		end tell
	end if
	-----
	if name of theObject is "get" then
		set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button "_itemlist"
		tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
			activate
			open _selecteditem
		end tell
	end if
	-----
	if name of theObject is "cancel" then
		quit me
	end if
end clicked

Cheers
Budgie

Hi Budgie,

1.) your path to desktop misses the user,
in a Finder tell block there is a shortcut,
because the “root” folder of the Finder is the desktop of the current user

tell application "Finder" to set _list to name of every file

2.) The error occurs, because the reference is not complete

set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button "_itemlist" of window "main"

Hi StefanK

Thanks for that, it’s normally the obvious that is over looked. :smiley:

Cheers
Budgie

Hi

I have changed my script as suggested which gives me the result im after bar the opening of the file in Illustrator, do I need to use something like a POSIX path to get illustrator to recognise what the “_selecteditem” of the pop up button is?, im not sure?

the error I am getting is: “File Q22604-PROOF.pdf wasn’t found. (-43)”

if name of theObject is “get” then
set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button “_itemlist” of window “main”
tell application “Adobe Illustrator”
activate
open _selecteditem as alias

end tell
end if

Cheers
Budgie

You have only the name, but you need the whole path of the file
for example

set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button "_itemlist" of window "main"
tell application "Finder" to set FileToOpen to ((get 1st file of _path whose name is _selecteditem) as alias)
tell application "Adobe Illustrator" to open FileToOpen

Hi StefanK

I implemented your suggestion which yielded this error:

Can’t get file 1 of “KNIFE DRAWINGS:”. (-1728) --(“KNIFE DRAWINGS:” is a mounted volume)

so I added “as alias” to the end of this string:

set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button “_itemlist” of window “main” as alias

and had this error returned:

File TK101174 - C4 TS 00 House .dwg wasn’t found. (-43)

not quite sure what to do here?

Budgie

Hi Budgie,

two explanations to my suggestion above:
the variable _selecteditem is just a string, not a (string) path
the variable _path must be a file specifier or an alias

so for example

set _selecteditem to "TK101174 - C4 TS 00 House .dwg"
set _path to "KNIFE DRAWINGS" as alias -- class alias
tell application "Finder" to set FileToOpen to ((get 1st file of _path whose name is _selecteditem) as alias) -- _path = alias

or

set _selecteditem to "TK101174 - C4 TS 00 House .dwg"
set _path to "KNIFE DRAWINGS" -- class string
tell application "Finder" to set FileToOpen to ((get 1st file of folder _path whose name is _selecteditem) as alias) -- folder _path = file specifier

Hi

Ive been mucking around with this on and of for a few days now, using the two different suggestions above from StefanK, they throw the same error.

Finder got an error: Can’t get file 1 of alias “KNIFE DRAWINGS:” whose name of it = “8120SO.pdf”. (-1728)

So decided it wasn’t the code, it was what I was getting the code to do, or in this case not do. “KIFE DRAWINGS” is the top level folder of a mounted volume, the files are being sourced from files within folders, within folders of this volume, so a repeat is required to go through all the folders to obtain the selected file from the selected item of the pop up button.
How would I implement the repeat using this?

set _path to "KNIFE DRAWINGS:" as alias
	set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button "_itemlist" of window "main" as text
	tell application "Finder" to set FileToOpen to ((get 1st file of _path whose name is _selecteditem) as alias)
end if

Budgie

ok, got is sorted, no repeat loop required, this works fine for me

set _path to "KNIFE DRAWINGS:"
	set _selecteditem to title of current menu item of popup button "_itemlist" of window "main" as text
	tell application "Finder" to set FileToOpen to ((get 1st file of entire contents of folder _path whose name is _selecteditem) as alias)
end if

thanks for your help StefanK

cheers
Budgie