POSIX path not working

I’m working on a script that we plan to use at a university that will install Symantec AntiVirus but will first check if Norton AntiVirus is installed first (different corporate versions). I was trying to do this by checking for the existance of a receipt named “Norton AntiVirus.pkg” but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

set pathToNav to "/Library/Receipts/Norton\\ AntiVirus.pkg"

display dialog "Do you want to install Symantec Antivirus?" buttons {"No", "Yes"} default button 2
if button returned of result is "Yes" then
	tell application "Finder"
		if exists POSIX path of pathToNav then
			display dialog "Older version of NAV is installed. We need to uninstall first" buttons {"Cancel", "Ok"} default button 2
			if button returned of result is "Ok" then
				do shell script "open /Volumes/MacSetup/SymantecUninstaller.app" --Is there a better way I should be opening?
			end if
		end if
	end tell
	if not (exists POSIX path of pathToNav as string) then
		do shell script "installer -pkg /Volumes/MacSetup/SAVinstall.mpkg -target /" with administrator privileges
	end if

end if

I’ve tried several different ways to get it to look for that file (package) but I haven’t been able to find the answer.

Thanks.

Can you be a bit more specific about how it fails? Is there an error message of any kind?

I see a few issues.

• You’re using POSIX path on a variable that is already a POSIX path. Perhaps you mean to use POSIX file.

• A POSIX path is just text, and (I think) text should always “exist”.

It is not properly determining if the file exists. This script just stops and does not run any installers like I want it to.
Basically, my question is, what is the proper way to have an applescript see if a certain file (or .pkg) exists?

Here is my event log:

tell current application
display dialog “Do you want to install Symantec Antivirus?” buttons {“No”, “Yes”} default button 2
{button returned:“Yes”}
end tell
tell application “Finder”
exists “/Library/Receipts/Norton\ AntiVirus.pkg”
false
end tell
tell current application
exists “/Library/Receipts/Norton\ AntiVirus.pkg”
true
end tell

Thanks.

I would try something like this:

display dialog "Do you want to install Symantec Antivirus?" buttons {"Cancel", "Install"} default button 2

try
	-- The receipt must exist to make an alias. If it doesn't exist, an error is thrown.
	get ((path to library folder from local domain as Unicode text) & "Receipts:Norton AntiVirus.pkg") as alias

display dialog "An older version of NAV is installed; We need to uninstall that first." buttons {"Cancel", "Uninstall"} default button 2

activate application "MacSetup:SymantecUninstaller.app"
on error number errNum
	if errNum is -128 then
		-- The user canceled the dialog
		error number -128
	else
		do shell script "/usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/MacSetup/SAVinstall.mpkg -target /" with administrator privileges
	end if
end try

Thank you so much. This works great.

display dialog "Horray"

I’m trying to go a bit deeper with this script. I can’t seen to get it to check for the existence of 3 things.

I would like it to first check if Norton Antivirus.pkg is in reciepts, if it is, run SymantecUninstaller (this part works), if Norton Antivirus.pkg is not in receipts, check for Symantec AntiVirus.pkg, if installed, install savPrefs.mpkg. If all 3 are install, just display dialog.

I’m getting stuck at what to put after the first “error number -128”

display dialog "Do you want to install Symantec Antivirus?" buttons {"Cancel", "Install"} default button 2

try
	-- The receipt must exist to make an alias. If it doesn't exist, an error is thrown.
	get ((path to library folder from local domain as Unicode text) & "Receipts:Norton AntiVirus.pkg") as alias

display dialog "An older version of NAV is installed; We need to uninstall that first." buttons {"Cancel", "Uninstall"} default button 2

activate application "MacSetup:Packages:SymantecUninstaller.app"
on error number errNum
	if errNum is -128 then
		error number -128
		else --Not sure what to put here
			get ((path to library folder from local domain as Unicode text) & "Receipts:Symantec AntiVirus.pkg") as alias

display dialog "SAV already installed."
			do shell script "installer -pkg /Volumes/MacSetup/Packages/savPrefs.mpkg -target /"

on error number errNum
			if errNum is -128 then
				error number -128
				do shell script "/usr/sbin/installer -pkg /Volumes/MacSetup/Packages/SAVinstall.mpkg -target /" with administrator privileges
			end if
	end if
end try

Thanks again for your help.