Printing in AI CS

So now I’m trying to print from AI CS. I can get it to print to the default printer but I want to be able to change printers and settings. From the AI guide and dictionary I have this script:

tell application "Illustrator CS"
	set jobOpts to {class:job options, designation:all layers, reverse pages:false}
	set colorOpts to {class:color management options, name:"[Default]"}
	set colorSepOpts to {class:color separation options, separation mode:host based separation, over print black:true}
	set coordOpts to {class:coordinate options, fit to page:false}
	set flatOpts to {class:flattening options, clip complex regions:true}
	set printOpts to {class:print options, job settings:jobOpts, color management settings:colorOpts, coordinate settings:coordOpts, flattener settings:flatOpts, color separation settings:colorSepOpts}
	print current document options printOpts without dialog
end tell

This script works for the default printer. From the AI Dictionary, it says, under the print options (the line that sets printOpts above), that to specify a printer (that’s the way I interpret it) you use the following:

“printer name unicode text --the name of the printer to print to”

When I insert the line:

set prntr to "hp LaserJet 2300 series"

and add the following to printOpts:

set printOpts to {class:print options, job settings:jobOpts, color management settings:colorOpts, coordinate settings:coordOpts, flattener settings:flatOpts, color separation settings:colorSepOpts, printer name:prntr}

AI CS will try to print but hangs up with the print progress bar whirling away and applescript errors out.

Adobe Illustrator CS got an error: an Illustrator error occurred: 280 (‘’)

Is there anyone who knows the correct syntax to use to specify printers and spot color separation.

Thank you all.

PreTech

I’m thinking you need to set up a preset and opt to that…maybe?..i am pre-new to this stuff so i will keep an eye on this.

I print hundreds of email attachments mainly through illustratorCS2…anyone know of other posts/sites along the above lines would GREATLY be appreciated.

Please keep this particular thread up…please.

KC