Problem with folder name variable

Here is my problem:
I have a simple find and replace script that opens a file located in /Volumes/Xserve HD/VARIABLEINPUTSHERE.package/testfile.pkg

It then open Text Wrangler does a find and replace for display name =Joe and Turns it into Display name = Bob

The problem here is that I keep getting file not found on my “theCommand” variable.
The True Path is /Volumes/Xserve HD/digital.package/testfile.pkg

When my dialog box opens up i type in digital so that it populate “theCommand” with the value digital thus it should give the path listed above.

When I take out the variable and put the file name directly in, it works fine.

Does any one have any suggestions?

property theCommand : ""

repeat while theCommand is ""
	display dialog "Input File Name:" default answer theCommand
	set theCommand to text returned of result
end repeat

tell application "TextWrangler"
	open POSIX file "\"/Volumes/Xserve HD/" & theCommand & ".package/testfile.pkg\""

replace "displayName = \"BOB\"" using "displayName = \"JOE\"" searching in text of text document 1 options {starting at top:true}
	close text document 1 saving yes
end tell

Browser: Firefox 7.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.7)

Are you sure you need quotes in the POSIX path string? I don’t have TextWrangler at the moment, so I can’t test it, but I have never seen paths put that way.

Try changing this line

open POSIX file "\"/Volumes/Xserve HD/" & theCommand & ".package/testfile.pkg\""

to

open POSIX file "/Volumes/Xserve HD/" & theCommand & ".package/testfile.pkg" as string

I’m not sure if you need the “as string” at the end, but it’s something I’ve got a habit of doing, maybe it’s just the peace of mind that it’s going to come out as a string no matter what… :slight_smile:

This did Not work, here is my output:

tell application “TextWrangler”
open “Xserve HD:digital.package/testfile.pkg”
→ error “File not found (MacOS Error code: -43)” number -43

Like I said previously, when I hardcode in the path it works fine. Just having a really hard time with the variable.

Any help is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

set defaultLoc to alias "some_HFS_path"-- your packages folder here
set target to choose file default location defaultLoc with showing package contents

Saves you typing the package name (excluding interfering typo’s, too).

It doesn’t work because POSIX file affects only the first literal string.
Put the whole string in parentheses:

open POSIX file ("/Volumes/Xserve HD/" & theCommand & ".package/testfile.pkg")

But don’t be afraid of HFS paths, which are the default path specifier of AppleScript

open "Xserve HD:" & theCommand & ".package:testfile.pkg"

Thank You so much Stefan! This worked :smiley: :

open POSIX file ("/Volumes/Xserve HD/" & theCommand & ".package/testfile.pkg")