Problem with processing files in correct sequence

Hello,
I am having a problem with a droplet that has a repeat handler. What I’m trying to do is take a certain number of drawing files and add them to a Filemaker Pro dbase in a sequence. The files are named with progressive figure numbering such as; ET ELEC142-1 f21, ET ELEC142-1 f22, ET ELEC142-1 f23, etc. When I drop a selection of these files on the droplet, it processes the highest figure-numbered file first then progressively on down to the lowest figure number. What I want is the lowest figure-numbered file to be added to the dbase first then up to the highest figure-numbered file.

Here is the repeat part of the droplet:

on open the_list
tell application “Finder”
set the_list to selection
repeat with source_file in the_list
– various script lines that add files to the dbase, etc. –
end repeat
end tell
end open

I tried to do a ‘repeat from 1 to item i of the_list’ etc. but it didn’t seem to work. The creation date of the files is in the same order as the figure numbering. I don’t know why it would select the highest figure-numbered file first. Any ideas as to how I could fix this problem?

Thanks.

Does this help? (I’m still fairly new at this, but it’s a bit I’ve been using, and I think it’s doing what you’re hoping to do…

tell application “Finder” to set the source_folder to (folder of the front window)

set the item_list to every file in source_folder
set source_folder to source_folder as string
repeat with targetfile in item_list
set fileinfo to info for (targetfile as alias)
– Actions to be taken–
end repeat

I’ve lost track of what scripting additions come standard with AppleScript these days, but maybe there’s a sort routine among them. If not, maybe a sort handler like

on mySort(lst)
	set n to count of lst
	if n <= 1 then return {n}

set indexL to {}
	repeat with i from 1 to count of lst
		set end of indexL to i -- initialize an index list as {1, 2, 3, ...}
	end repeat

repeat with i from 1 to n - 1
		set changed to false
		repeat with j from i + 1 to n
			if (item (item i of indexL) of lst) as text > (item (item j of indexL) of lst) as text then
				set t to item i of indexL
				set item i of indexL to item j of indexL
				set item j of indexL to t
				set changed to true
			end if
		end repeat
		if not changed then exit repeat -- sorted by this point so no need to continue
	end repeat
	return indexL
end mySort

could be called like this:

on open the_list
  tell app "Finder"
    set indexList to my mySort(the_list)
    repeat with i from 1 to count of the_list
      set source_file to item (item i of indexList) of the_list
      -- various script lines that add files to the dbase, etc. --
    end repeat
  end tell
end open

I use an index array instead of rearranging the list itself for efficiency here. I assume “selection” returns a list of aliases rather than text strings so I coerce them in the handler. For huge lists it might be better to set up a list of strings up front. I’m sure there are cleaner ways but this works on my simplistic test.

• Dan

Thanks for all the prompt suggestions!
In my messing around with the script, I eventally stumbled on a one line solution that was too straightforward.

set file_names to every file of folder “some folder” of folder “another folder” of folder “mylastname” of folder “Users” of startup disk

Placed in the script after setting the_list gives me a list of file names that get processed from the top file in the window to the bottom one.

on open the_list
tell application “Finder”
set file_names to every file of folder “some folder” of folder “another folder” of folder “mylastname” of folder “Users” of startup disk
repeat with source_file in the_list
– various script lines that add files to the dbase, etc. –
end repeat
end tell
end open