prompt user to enter path list

in the code below, you have to enter the path list in the code. how can you allow the user to enter a different path list if he wants the when he tries to connect to FTP.

property ServerList : {"ftp.myServer1.com", "[url=ftp://ftp.myServer2.com]ftp.myServer2.com[/url]", "[url=ftp://ftp.myServer3.com]ftp.myServer3.com[/url]"} --ftp server
property pathList : {"/pub/jpg/", "/pub/gif/", "/pub/png/"}
property usernameList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --server_username
property passwordList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --server_password

set ftppath to item i of pathList

thanks.

I know you had another FTP thread going on here, which I didnt read :(, but perhaps that would help me here… What are you asking exatcly because I feel Im missing something.

Assuming Im not you could just use a choose from list, but add “other” to the choices. Then evaluate, if other prompt user for the path with a display dialog.

Hi Bill,

you find it in my first version of the script in the other thread:

set ftppath to text returned of (display dialog "Enter path of FTP-Server (slash separated):" default answer "/")
if ftppath does not end with "/" then set ftppath to ftppath & "/"

Thansks Stefan. we changed that script so many times, I forgot!

can you do the same for the mounting? to allow the user to enter his/her user name and password (can we remember the script for a particular user?). please refer to script

property FileServerList : {"FileServer1", "FileServer2", "FileServer3"} --Fileserver
property VolumeList : {"Volume1", "Volume2", "Volume3"}
property unList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --Fileserver_username
property pwList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --Fileserver_password

set chosenFileServer to (choose from list FileServerList with prompt "choose a Fileserver")
if chosenFileServer is false then return

repeat with i from 1 to count FileServerList
   if item 1 of chosenFileServer is item i of FileServerList then exit repeat
end repeat

set cmd to "afp://" & item i of unList & ":" & item i of pwList & "@" & item i of FileServerList & ".local" & "/" & item i of VolumeList
try
   mount volume cmd
on error e number n
   display dialog "Error number " & (n as string) & ":" & return & e
end try

sorry for so many questions, but I figured I will learn a lot to start other threads and ask questions.

This is very easy, just omit username and password (afp://servername.local/Volume)

set cmd to "afp://" & item i of FileServerList & ".local" & "/" & item i of VolumeList

then the authentification dialog comes up automatically

This a lot better. Thanks. I think users will find it uncomfortable to be asked about their password!
couple things I have noticed in the final script:

1. when the server volume is mounted, I get an error! and if I press ok or cancel, nothing happens and the script continues working fine.
    If the server volume was mounted, it would make sense if a message comes up that will tell the user, this volume is mounted with only the OK button appearing on the message.
  2. When the user connects to the FTP, they can’t navigate particular folders. can we allow the user to navigate to a certain folder if they are not sure what path theu have to select. one FTP I looked at changes the path almost everyday, so this will help a lot.
  3. I am trying to display a message at the end that will tell the user “thanks for using the script”, but will disappear in seconds by itself. Or maybe will only show the OK button.

Here is the modified script:

property NameList : {"Server1", "Server2", "Server3"}
property ServerList : {"ftp.myServer1.com", "[url=ftp://ftp.myServer2.com]ftp.myServer2.com[/url]", "[url=ftp://ftp.myServer3.com]ftp.myServer3.com[/url]"} --ftp server
--property pathList : {/pub/gif/", "/pub/gif/", "/pub/png/"}
property usernameList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --server_username
property passwordList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --server_password

--server list

property FileServerList : {"FileServer1", "FileServer2", "FileServer3"} --Fileserver
property VolumeList : {"Volume1", "Volume2", "Volume3"}
property unList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --Fileserver_username
property pwList : {"¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢", "¢¢¢¢¢"} --Fileserver_password

set tempFolder to POSIX path of ((path to temporary items as Unicode text) & "curl_temp_folder:")
try
	do shell script "rm -rf " & quoted form of tempFolder
end try
do shell script "mkdir " & quoted form of tempFolder

set chosenServer to (choose from list NameList with prompt "choose one or multiple servers" with multiple selections allowed)
if chosenServer is false then return

repeat with i from 1 to count chosenServer
	repeat with j from 1 to count NameList
		if item i of chosenServer is item j of NameList then exit repeat
	end repeat
	set ftpserver to item j of ServerList

--set ftppath to item j of pathList
	--allow user to select which path they want to connect to
	set ftppath to text returned of (display dialog "Enter path of FTP-Server (slash separated):" default answer "/")

set server_username to item j of usernameList
	set server_password to item j of passwordList

set servername to ftpserver & ftppath
	set theFiles to paragraphs of (do shell script "curl -l " & servername & " -u " & server_username & ":" & server_password)
	set DLfiles to choose from list theFiles with prompt "choose one or multiple files to download:" with multiple selections allowed

--set FileServers to choose URL showing File servers
	--set theServer to (mount volume FileServers) as alias
	--this section allows you to connect to a server directly

set chosenFileServer to (choose from list FileServerList with prompt "choose a Fileserver")
	if chosenFileServer is false then return

repeat with i from 1 to count FileServerList
		if item 1 of chosenFileServer is item i of FileServerList then exit repeat
	end repeat

set cmd to "afp://" & item i of FileServerList & ".hq.vitalsource.com" & "/" & item i of VolumeList
	--set cmd to "afp://" & item i of unList & ":" & item i of pwList & "@" & item i of FileServerList & ".hq.vitalsource.com" & "/" & item i of VolumeList
	--set cmd to "afp://" & item i of unList & ":" & item i of pwList & "@" & item i of FileServerList & "/" & item i of VolumeList

--added for debugging
	display dialog cmd

try
		mount volume cmd
	on error e number n
		display dialog "Error number " & (n as string) & ":" & return & e
	end try

--end of server connnect markup

set destfolder1 to (choose folder with prompt "choose destination folder 1")
	set dFname1 to name of (info for destfolder1)
	set destfolder2 to (choose folder with prompt "choose destination folder 2")
	set dFname2 to name of (info for destfolder2)
	repeat with i in DLfiles
		set serverURL to quoted form of (servername & i)
		set destPath to quoted form of (tempFolder & i)
		do shell script "curl -o " & destPath & " -u " & server_username & ":" & server_password & " " & serverURL
	end repeat
end repeat
tell application "Finder" to set fileList to items of (POSIX file tempFolder as alias)
set c to count fileList
repeat with i in fileList
	if (name extension of (info for (i as alias)) is "zip") then
		tell application "StuffIt Expander" to expand {i as alias} into destfolder1
	else
		tell application "Finder" to move (i as alias) to destfolder1
	end if
end repeat
quit application "StuffIt Expander"
display dialog (c as string) & " file(s) downloaded" buttons {"Done"} default button 1
set toCopy to button returned of (display dialog "Copy all files from folder " & dFname1 & " to folder " & dFname2 & "?" buttons {"No", "Copy"} default button 2)
if toCopy is "Copy" then
	tell application "Finder" to duplicate (get items of destfolder1) to destfolder2
end if
set toDelete to button returned of (display dialog "Delete all files in folder " & dFname1 & "?" buttons {"No", "Delete"} default button 2)
if toDelete is "Delete" then do shell script "rm -rf " & quoted form of POSIX path of destfolder1 & "*"
try
	do shell script "rm -rf " & quoted form of tempFolder
end try

display dialog "Thank you for using this script"

thanks.

Which error message?

for example:

display dialog "Volume " & quote & item i of VolumeList & quote & " is mounted" buttons {"OK"} default button 1

This is possible but can’t be writen in a few lines, for this I recommend to use a FTP program. Some of them are very well scriptable.

display dialog "Thanks for using the script" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 giving up after 5

Note: Pressing the Cancel button in any AppleScript dialog throws an error and the script will be aborted.

thanks Stefan.