Quark 6.5 Click "Suppress Output" Bug?

I am working on a script that uses System Events to select everything on a layer in my Quark file, hit command G to group it, hit Command M to bring up the Modify window, and then click “Suppress Output” if it is not already checked. I finally worked all of it out, BUT if you run this script on a Quark file with a couple of boxes in it, you will see there is a bug. It does everything as expected, clicking the “Suppress Output” box (you can see the check appear). When it is done, if you hit Command M to bring up the modify window again, the Suppress Output button is no longer clicked! Is this a known bug? Is there something I am missing?? I can see it is doing everything I want it to but the result disappears…

tell application "QuarkXPress"
	activate
	tell front document
		select every generic box of page 1
		tell application "System Events"
			keystroke "g" using {command down}
			keystroke "m" using {command down}
			delay 2
			tell process "QuarkXPress"
				get value of checkbox "Suppress Output" of UI element 1 of group 1 of tab group 1 of window "Modify"
				if the result is not equal to 1 then
					click checkbox "Suppress Output" of UI element 1 of group 1 of tab group 1 of window "Modify"
				end if
				keystroke return
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Model: Mac G5
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Suppress print is a property of layer. No need to use system events.

Just tried as a quick test and this worked.

tell application "QuarkXPress"
	tell document 1
		set suppress print of layer 1 to true
	end tell
end tell

Actually, I can’t just suppress the layer. Everything in the document is grouped and intended to be copied and pasted into another document so the layer will be lost. The individual boxes must be suppressed.

I figured a workaround since my first posting:

set BoxList to (uniqueID of every generic box of layer 3 of page 1) as list
		repeat with x from 1 to the count of every generic box of page 1
			if uniqueID of generic box x is in BoxList then
				set suppress printing of generic box x to true
			end if
		end repeat

But I would be interested if anyone knows why the first way didn’t work.