Quark make new document

Hi All,

I am getting a very basic problem while creating new document through applescript.

Please see the code below:

tell application "QuarkXPress"
   activate

set templateName to make new document at beginning with properties {automatic text box:false, bottom margin:"3p", facing pages:true, horizontal measure:points, inside margin:"3p", outside margin:"3p", page height:"99p", page width:"70p", top margin:"3p", vertical measure:points, view scale:"100%"}

end tell

The Error I am getting “QuarkXpress got an error: Can’t set some object to {}. Access not allowed”.

Then I tried with TRY and it works, but I want to know is there any wrong in the code.

ThanX
Raj

Hi

i get the “facing pages” bit as throwing up the error. would something like this work:

activate
	set templateName to make new document at beginning with properties {automatic text box:false, bottom margin:"3p", horizontal measure:points, inside margin:"3p", outside margin:"3p", page height:"99p", page width:"70p", top margin:"3p", vertical measure:points, view scale:"100%"}
	tell default document 1
		set facing pages to true
	end tell
end tell

I am facing the same issue as Macrajeev, and “facing pages” is the culprit (regardless of setting it to true or false).

The suggestion from pidge1 doesn’t help too. Anyone has overcome this problem? Please advise!

Hi

I’ve never needed to use facing pages, so don 't know if this is what you want.
but give this a go.

tell application "QuarkXPress Passport"
	activate
	set templateName to make new document at beginning with properties {automatic text box:false, bottom margin:"3p", horizontal measure:points, inside margin:"3p", outside margin:"3p", page height:"99p", page width:"70p", top margin:"3p", vertical measure:points, view scale:"100%"}
	make new page at beginning of spread 1 of templateName
end tell

or is this a facing page:

tell application "QuarkXPress Passport"
	activate
	repeat 3 times
		make new page at end of templateName
	end repeat
end tell

or neither

Hi pidge1, thanks for your prompt reply.

The problem is if we don’t define whether the facing pages is true or false in the script, then Quark just get the info from previous setting.

For instance, you may manually create a new document, check the “facing pages” option and press “OK”. Then run your scripts and you will find that the newly created document by the script will be in facing pages.

Vice versa, if you first manually create a new document, uncheck the “facing pages” option now and press “OK”. Then run the same scripts and you will find that the newly created document by the script will be in single pages.

Forgive me if I couldn’t express my problem clearly, but what I am looking for is something can be control by the script so that it wouldn’t produce inconsistant result from the previous settings.

You want to be talking to the right object. In Quark that would be default document 1.

activate
	tell default document 1
		set guides showing to true
		set guides in front to true
		set horizontal measure to points
		set vertical measure to points
		set page height to "99p"
		set page width to "70p"
		set left margin to "3p"
		set right margin to "3p"
		set top margin to "3p"