Quark query, thoughts please...

Hi there,

I’d created a script, for use in Quark, that prints the current doc to a postscript file. I thought I’d reduce the original process down to the selection of a script that does it all for you.

I’d incorporated some code, that I’d found somewhere else, to check if any elements are missing before printing, be they fonts or images. If there is something missing a dialog pops up.

Here’s the code:-

set ps_folder to "PATH TO FOLDER:postscripts:"

tell application "QuarkXPress"

set missing_pics to false
	set missing_fonts to false

tell document 1
		repeat with i from 1 to (count images)
			if (image i's missing is true) or (image i's modified is true) then
				set missing_pics to true
				exit repeat
			end if
			set theFonts to (get font list)
			repeat with thisFont in theFonts
				if (item 2 of (thisFont as list) as real) < 0 then set missing_fonts to true
			end repeat
		end repeat
	end tell

if missing_pics or missing_fonts then
		display dialog "There is either a missing picture or font or both!" with icon stop buttons {"OK"} default button {"OK"}
	else
		repeat with i from 1 to count of project
			tell project i
				set ProjectName to name
				if (count of layout space) = 1 then
					set name of layout space 1 to ProjectName
				end if
			end tell
		end repeat

-- PRINT THE DOCUMENT

end if
end tell

The script works fine apart from one slight niggle, it’s probably a little too keen. The script checks for missing items on the master pages which don’t really come into play when printing.

Do I need to check each page to see whether or not it’s a master page or is there someway I can tell the loop below to ignore master pages?

tell document 1
		repeat with i from 1 to (count images)
			if (image i's missing is true) or (image i's modified is true) then
				set missing_pics to true
				exit repeat
			end if
			set theFonts to (get font list)
			repeat with thisFont in theFonts
				if (item 2 of (thisFont as list) as real) < 0 then set missing_fonts to true
			end repeat
		end repeat
	end tell

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I just looked at the properties of a picture box on page 1 as opposed to one on the master page, and the only thing I can see is that any picture box on the master page is “Picture box 0” even if there are more than one. Maybe you can put a reference to the picture box of the image to add a condition “and picture box x is greater than 0” so it would ignore those. It’s not immediately obvious how you would do that as you are looking at the “images” of the document as opposed to repeating through all the picture boxes. Can you reference the picture box of an image? I haven’t tried that before. You’ll have to experiment but maybe that can point you in the right direction.

Incidentially, I use this little script all the time to figure out how to reference things in Quark. If you have a document open in Quark and select it, you can run this script and see all the properties of the box:

tell application "QuarkXPress"
	tell front document
		get properties of current box
	end tell
end tell

Model: G5 Tower (not Intel) - Script Editor ver 2.1.1
AppleScript: Tiger
Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Nick, just check pics for modified if a pic is missing then it is also modified so you only need search for the one property. not sur about the master pages i will have a quick look. Heres 2 things I use in quark

set MissMod to count (every image whose modified is true)
		if MissMod > 0 then
			set Warning1 to display dialog "Warning you have " & MissMod & ¬
				" missing or modified images!!!" buttons {"Cancel", "Print"} default button 1
			if button returned of Warning1 is "Print" then
			end if
		end if
		--
		set SpotSpec to count (every color spec whose separation is false)
		if SpotSpec > 0 then
			set Warning2 to display dialog "Warning you have " & SpotSpec & ¬
				" unseparated colours in your doc!!!" buttons {"Cancel", "Print"} default button 1
			if button returned of Warning2 is "Print" then
			end if
		end if

Thanks for the post and for the help.

I think I’ll try repeating through all the picture boxes. I’ve got another script for doing a find and replace on pictures and text, maybe I can utilize part of that.

Thanks for the code, I think that’s going to come in very useful.

Cheers Matt,

Nick

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the help and the code snippets, your reply must have come through as I was writing my last one.

I’ll implement the change and see how I get on, I think it should do the trick.

I’ll have to think about how I can solve the missing font problem because the check picks up on fonts that are missing on master pages.

Thanks again for the help.

Nick

I have auto activation so missing fonts is not an issue i’ve dealt with. The snippits just offer the user a bail out via the dialogs or continute at own risk. The colour thing is because there is no option for DeviceN through script tut tut quark an oversight!!! The user should go back through the UI and set this in Output.