Querying property lists by integer key?

Within an Applescript program, I’m trying to query a property list value by an integer key. However, I can’t figure out the proper syntax.

I read the property list from ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist, whose contents look like this (based on the output of defaults read) …

I want to get the value for a given item; for example, item 11. I am trying to do it like this, but it doesn’t work …

property hotkeysPlistFile       : "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist"
    tell application "System Events"
        set hotkeys to (value of property list item "AppleSymbolicHotKeys" of contents of property list file hotkeysPlistFile)
    end tell
    -- The setting of the 'hotkeys' variable works correctly.
    -- However, the following does not give me the value for item 11 ...
    set value11 to value of property list item 11 of hotkeys
    -- Nor does this work ...
    set value11 to value of item 11 of hotkeys
    -- Nor do any of these ...
    set value11 to value of property list item "11" of hotkeys
    set value11 to value of item "11" of hotkeys
    set value11 to value of property list item |11| of hotkeys
    set value11 to value of item |11| of hotkeys

Can anyone point me to some docs which explain the proper syntax for retrieving a property list item in Applescript using an integer key?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

hotkeys must be the reference to the property list item, not to its value

set hotkeys to (property list item "AppleSymbolicHotKeys" of contents of property list file hotkeysPlistFile)

The ‘value’ of property list item “AppleSymbolicHotKeys” is a record, so you need to use a property reference with that:

property hotkeysPlistFile : "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist"
	set hotkeys to (value of property list item "AppleSymbolicHotKeys" of contents of property list file hotkeysPlistFile)
end tell

set value11 to |11| of hotkeys --> {enabled:true, value:{type:"standard", parameters:{65535, 97, 262144}}}

Or with Stefan’s suggestion, you need a name reference to a property list item:

property hotkeysPlistFile : "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist"

set hotkeys to (property list item "AppleSymbolicHotKeys" of contents of property list file hotkeysPlistFile)
	set value11 to value of property list item "11" of hotkeys --> {enabled:true, value:{type:"standard", parameters:{65535, 97, 262144}}}
end tell

Aha! Thanks.

And then, to get the item with key 11, what do I do? It seems like if I use this, it treats 11 as an index, not as a key …

set value11 to value of item 11 of hotkeys

But this doesn’t work, either …

set value11 to value of item "11" of hotkeys

Nor does this work …

set value11 to value of item |11| of hotkeys

Thanks again.

Oh, thank you, Nigel. Our messages crossed.