record question

Hi all,
I have a script that takes the first four characters of a filename and sets it to a variable called pub_code what i then need to do is correlate the pub_code with an email address, in the past of done this by using else if:

set pub_code to "abus"

if pub_code = "cmot" then
	set email_address to "steved@address.com"
else if pub_code = "twek" then
	set email_address to "lauraw@address.com"
else if pub_code = "abus" then
	set email_address to "nikj@address.com"
end if

but the list of else if’s is getting very long so I wondered if it would be better to use a record e.g

set pub_code to "abus"

set email_lookup to {cmot:"steved@address.com", twek:"lauraw@address.com", abus:"nikj@address.com"}

set email_address to email_lookup's pub_code

The problem is that when I define the pub_code I then need the email_address record to recognize the string as a record entry and I can’t see how to do this. Is there a way of doing this or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks,
Nik

Hi, blend3

You can’t use records that way, since their labels aren’t text and you have to know what label you want to access when writing the script. You could use a list of lists, though; something like this:

set pub_code to "abus"

set email_lookup to {{"cmot", "steved@address.com"}, {"twek", "lauraw@address.com"}, {"abus", "nikj@address.com"}}

repeat with this_entry in email_lookup
	if (item 1 of this_entry is pub_code) then
		set email_address to item 2 of this_entry
		exit repeat
	end if
end repeat
-- display dialog email_address

Addendum: Sorry. I was forgetting about ‘run script’, which allows you to do such things textually. However, it could be a little slower as it has to compile the text into a script each time it’s used:

set pub_code to "abus"

-- A text representation of a record. NB the escaped quotes round the record's text values.
set email_lookup to "{cmot:\"steved@address.com\", twek:\"lauraw@address.com\", abus:\"nikj@address.com\"}"

-- Compile and run a script that returns the relevant text value.
set email_address to (run script (email_lookup & "'s " & pub_code))

Hi Nigel,
I didn’t think it was possible but I needed it confirmed by someone who knew.
Many thanks for the workaround,
Nik