Run AppleScript in background to stop Citrix from timing out

First of all, I am a complete neophyte at AppleScript, and I apologize for my ignorance. I am a diehard Mac user running OSX 10.3.9. I detest using a PC, but am required by my job to work in Windows occasionally. I do so through Citrix ICA Client (v. 7.00.407) on my Mac, and though a bit slow, it satisfies my intermittent Windows needs. The problem is that my IT dept. has put a timer on each Citrix session, which will automatically shut down Citrix if it hasn’t been used for 30 minutes.

To get around this, I created a simple AppleScript that simply activates the Citrix client window. I use it with Script Timer, which invokes the script every 29 minutes. This works, of course, but unfortunately it jarringly interrupts my work by switching over to the Citrix window briefly, before returning me to what I was doing.

I wonder if it’s possible to create a script that runs in the background to keep Citrix active. I’m sure it’s possible, but I’m afraid my simple AppleScript was the extent of my powers.

Any help would be most appreciated,

Andrew
slappytown@aim.com

Model: Dual 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4
AppleScript: 2.0 (v43.1)
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060214 Camino/1.0
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.3.9)

I’ve never heard of citrix but have you tried getting applescript to do a tell command?

tell application "Citrix"
(*put in a simple command like open and close a folder in citrix here*)
end tell

This should run a simple procedure through citrix and not interrupt your work.
Try experiment with different procedures. Even opening the start window and choosing a start folder. I think. Don’t know how this start thing works.

Thanks. As I mentioned, I’m not much of an applescripter, and I had my script tell the application to “activate”, and I never thought to tell it to simply perform an action…duhhhhh. Thanks and I will try it.