Script for Conditional Formatting in Excel

Hello,

I have just started using AppleScript and know very little. Basically, I need a script which conditionally formats the cells of a spreadsheet based on the content of each cell. I have started with a very basic code as an example, but I can’t seem to get the font color to change. Any tips? Thanks a lot!

tell application "Microsoft Excel"

tell range "a1" of active sheet

try
			delete (every format condition)
		end try

set newFormatCondition to make new format condition ¬
			at end with properties {format condition type:¬
			cell value, condition operator:operator equal, formula1:"hi"} ¬

tell font object of newFormatCondition
			set {font color index} to {12}
		end tell

end tell

end tell

Hello.

You should really download the Excel2004AppleScriptRef.pdf from mactopia and browse the first chapters.
They might be helpful, and if that isn’t enough, you should try to search the forum here.

Best Regards

McUsr

Thanks!

The script you posted works for me. If A1 contains “hi” it is in the brown color that you chose. If anything else, its black.

The difference is subtle, perhaps a more contrasting font color would be best.

I just can’t get it to work. I’ve tried it with a bunch of different color indexes, I’ve used “colorIndex” rather than font color index and nothing seems to work. The script works when I use it to bold or italic the object, but not for color. Also, I’m using Excel 2008 rather than 2004… that may be the difference?

I am looking at this reference guide now from the mac website, maybe I can figure it out.

hi
this should work on 08

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
	launch
	tell range "a1" of active sheet
		try
			delete (every format condition)
		end try
	end tell
	if get value of range "A1" is "hi" then

tell interior object of range "a1" of active sheet
			set color index to 6
		end tell
	end if
end tell

bills

It works. Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it.