scripting Acrobat to save as EPS files

Hello all,

I have searched around a bit, and experimented - but I can’t figure out the proper syntax in order to get this script to work correctly. I want to drop PDFs into a folder, and have Acrobat convert them to EPS, then save to a specified directory. The script is basic, and opens the file into acrobat - then nothing, I must have the syntax entirely incorrect. Any experts out there?

Here’s the script so far:

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
	tell application "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Pr#12A694"
		open these_items
		save these_items using EPS Conversion "volumes:vol1:fixed pdfs:in:"
	end tell
end adding folder items to

I’m not positive, but I think you have to do it on a per-file basis. The variable “these_items” is a list, since there could be more than 1 item added at a time to the watched folder.

Ok, I decided to create a droplet instead of doing a folder action. However, the current script yields an error… “Can’t continue save

Here is the current script:

on open myfile
		open myfile
	end tell
	set mydest to "volumes:Mac HD:users:andy:desktop:eps export tests:test:" as string
		save to mydest using EPS Conversion with binary, embedded fonts, images, preview and TrueType
	end tell
end open

I am getting closer…please help me :slight_smile:

Ok… now I am really close. I need to learn how to have the name of the original file simply appended, when it saves. I wish to add “_fixed.eps” to the end of each processed file. The script as it stands now, does what it should. However, I need to retain the original filename and simply add to it. My “mydest” clause likely needs some manipulation…

on open myfile
		open myfile
	end tell
	set mydest to "Mac HD:users:andy:desktop:eps export tests:untitled folder:In:myfile +1.eps"
		save front document to mydest using EPS Conversion with binary, embedded fonts, images, preview and TrueType
		close front document
	end tell
end open

Although Applescript is fun, Acrobat Pro (at least v6.0) has a batch function that is easy to set up, reliable and WAY faster than using Applescript.

In Acrobat under the menu go to Advanced > Batch Processing or do a search in the Acrobat help menu.

-N

Thank you for the reply. I looked into the batch processing stuff - but a major influnce in scripting is that I want user interaction to be a little as possible. I want the whole process automated, only requiring the user to drop a file in one place (droplet) and pick up the “fixed” file at a specified location.

Now all I need is to figure out what to add to my script to retain the original file’s name, with a “_fixed” appended to the name.

Looks like I’m doing this on my own…

If anyone can shed some light - I’ll hook them up a nice tuna sandwich :slight_smile:
My script as is works, but I am using a REPEAT clause that goes haywire. I need a better way to itemize the files being put into my folder. Right now, my script creates a new file in the same folder. this folder, having a fodler action attached, runs the script against every file that is added. So, being that my script creates new files into this folder, it cycles endlessly. Anyone care to comment?

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items
	repeat with i from 1 to the count of added_items
		set this_item to (item i of added_items)
			set fileExtension to {".eps"}
			set originalName to (name of (info for (this_item as alias)))
			if originalName ends with ".pdf" then
				tell application "Finder" to set name of (this_item as alias) to ((characters 1 through 7 of originalName) as text) & ".eps"
			end if
			set newName to (this_item as string) & "_fixed"
			open this_item
			save front document using EPS Conversion to file newName with binary, embedded fonts, images, preview and TrueType
			close front document
		end tell
	end repeat
	set mydest to "Mac HD:users:andy:desktop:eps export tests:untitled folder:In"
	tell application "Finder"
		move newName to mydest
	end tell

thanks in advance for your expertise

I think the solution is to move both the eps and pdf to a new location, one that doesn’t have the folder action attached to it. Try this script:

property old_extension : ".pdf" --type of files to process
property new_extension : ".eps" -- new file extension
property my_destination : "Webcard:Users:Shared:" --where to save the eps file
property new_suffix : "_fixed" --suffix to append to processed eps

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items
	try
		repeat with this_item in added_items
			set file_name to name of (info for (this_item as alias))
			if file_name contains old_extension then

--create destination path without old extension and with suffix and new extension
				set new_file_path to (my_destination & (characters 1 thru ((offset of old_extension in file_name) - 1) of file_name) & new_suffix & new_extension)

--convert the file and save it to new destination
				tell application "Acrobat 6.0 Professional"
					open this_item
					save front document using EPS Conversion to file new_file_path with binary, embedded fonts, images, preview and TrueType
					close front document
				end tell

--move the orginal file to the destination folder
				move this_item to my_destination
			end if
		end repeat
	on error err
		display dialog err
	end try