Scripting Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 - convert text to outline

:lol: Hello there! I’ve never tried scripting Illustrator before, but I need to set up a simple automation routine for all files dropped into a hot folder. The script needs to select all text in each document and automatically use the ‘convert to outlines’ option to turn it into … er … outlines! It’s to resolve a Mac to PC font problem on EPS files.

I can get Illustrator to open each file, I just need to get the outlines option sorted out. Any help would be really useful. Many thanks!

Hi :slight_smile:
I am not sure, but when you speak about “outline”, you indicate the “vectorisation” of the text?
If it is what you seek, here a small script which treats all the documents droped on its icon.
To work in full safety, you must first of all duplicate all the documents to be converted.

on open Lst
	tell application "Adobe Illustrator®"
		activate
		repeat with Itm in Lst
			open Itm
			tell document 1 to convert to paths (every text art item)
			close document 1 saving yes
		end repeat
	end tell
end open

:wink:

:smiley: Thanks for that solution, it’s brilliant and does exactly what I want it to do. I’ve worked it into my script and it works superbly!

One final thing… does anyone know how to stop Illustrator displaying a warning window when an EPS is opened that contains fonts not loaded in the system?

Many thanks!