Scripting Drag & Drop

Is it possible to script the Finder to take a folder and drop it on the application “Drop Stuff” (a non scriptable application) - if so how would you do this?
If this can not be accomplished, can someone recomend a cheap but STABLE compression utility (Stuffit Delux) crashes every other time while I’m running my script.
This is my first time on a BBS, I appologize if I did not observe the rules/regulations to posting a message.
Thanks in advance
Frank

: Is it possible to script the Finder to take a folder and
: drop it on the application “Drop Stuff” (a: non scriptable application) - if so how would you do
: this?
: If this can not be accomplished, can someone recomend a
: cheap but STABLE compression utility (Stuffit Delux)
: crashes every other time while I’m running my script.
: This is my first time on a BBS, I appologize if I did not
: observe the rules/regulations to posting a message.
: Thanks in advance
: Frank

Tell the Finder to open the folder using the DropStuff application file. The easiest way to locate DropStuff is (as here) to use its creator code with’application file’. If DropStuff was already open, it’ll stay open; if not,it’ll quit as soon as it’s stuffed the folder.

tell the application "Finder"
	open folder myFolder using application file id "DStf"
end tell

NG

: If this can not be accomplished, can someone recomend a
: cheap but STABLE compression utility (Stuffit Delux)
: crashes every other time while I’m running my script.
:
You might try the Wait Application scripting addition. It sounds like your script might be trying to continue without the stuffed archive you’re creating. Thereby causing the crash?
Just a thought…

Hey,

I know this topic is old, but I wish to use DropStuff as well (and at this point, I’m using Tiger…so the OS has quite evolved since 2000) when this topic was last updated.

One of the previous posts mentioned using this method to script DropStuff:

tell the application “Finder”
open folder myFolder using application file id “DStf”
end tell

I have tried this method in OSX 10.4.2, but it does not work. Here is my script:

--(set myFolder to the name of the folder to be stuffed)
set myFolder to quoted form of POSIX path of "Volumes:Joshua's G4:Applications:Application Authorization"

tell application "Finder"
	open myFolder using application file id "DStf"
end tell

When running the script, I get an Applescript Error:

Finder got an error: Can’t get “‘/Volumes/Joshua’\'‘s G4/Applications/Application Authorization/[k]box’”

and the reference is to the line: open myFolder using application file id “DStf”

So, the problem is NOT in the POSIX path (Volumes:Joshua’s G4:Applications:Application Authorization), but, rather in the interpretation of the folder and what to do with it.

Does anybody have any idea on how to correct this and/or script DropStuff?

Thanks everyone!