Sending files as attachments in Mail

I am trying to create an automatic reply script. The Mail rule that calls the script functions properly, based on the subject of the mail message. The sender can request either a .doc or a .pdf (or both) of a particular document to be sent to him/her. I set up the main body of the script to decide what information to send to the handler to format and send the appropriate reply with the desired attachment(s). I have read through this thread, and thought I understood how to properly address the location of the document(s) to attach, but it will not work. I think that is my main problem; I know where the files are (my Mail Downloads folder of my Library), and I know their names, but I cannot get the syntax correct to make those file(s) into attachemnts.

Any assistance or commentary is appreciated.

--Automatically reply to any Mail message with 'spep' in the subject line(via Mail  rule) and reply to that sender with appropriate attachment(s)

using terms from application "Mail"
	on perform mail action with messages The_Messages
		tell application "Mail" to repeat with This_Message in The_Messages
			set new_recip to This_Message's sender
			if (get This_Message's subject) contains "doc" then
				my MakeReply(new_recip, {"Whatever.doc"})
			else
				if (get This_Message's subject) contains "pdf" then
					my MakeReply(new_recip, {"Whatever.pdf"})
				else
					my MakeReply(new_recip, {"Whatever.doc", "Whatever.pdf"})
				end if
			end if
		end repeat
	end perform mail action with messages
end using terms from
----------------------------------------------------------
to MakeReply(send_er, atts) --remember that [atts] may be a list of two items
	set att_path to (path to library folder as Unicode text) & "Mail Downloads:"
	tell application "Mail"
		set b to make new outgoing message with properties {sender:"xxx@xxx.com", subject:"SPEP Reply"}
		tell b to make new to recipient
		set content of b to ("X Committee" & return & return)
		try--Nothing in this try block functions.
			repeat with att_ment in atts
				set i to ((att_path & att_ment))
				tell b's content
					make new attachment with properties {file name:i as alias} at after the last paragraph of content
				end tell
			end repeat
		end try
		set address of first to recipient of b to send_er
		send b
	end tell
end MakeReply

Jacques:

You are correct. I had the wrong location for the files. Thank you very much for your assistance; your fixes to my handler are perfect.

I think you are a great asset to this bbs; I always enjoy reading your replies to others seeking help and learning from your expertise.