Signing and Packaging A Filemaker Runtime For Distribution

I’d like to convert a Filemaker 18 Runtime to a Mac application package.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a set of guidelines/video that is less bewildering than this:

Packaging Mac software for distribution

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Lar

(1) iOS App SDK

Claris offers a program for developers called “FileMaker Developer Subscription” for about $100 per year.

This developer program includes:

• Claris FileMaker Server Development License
• iOS App SDK

• FileMaker data migration tool

• Solution Upgrade Command Line Tool

• Pre-release software

includes:

The iOS App SDK is an Xcode project that allows you to build an app for iOS by adding a FileMaker Pro database document. It seems to be written in C++/Objective-C internally, but it is also possible to generate a stand-alone app for iOS and code sign (a separate Apple Developer Connection agreement is required).

And since Apple Silicon Macs can run iOS apps on Macs, apps built using the iOS App SDK can be run on Macs.

(2) Claris FileMaker Go

If you don’t mind running on a Mac, you can run FileMaker Pro database documents on your iOS device. Claris FileMaker Go is an execution-only FileMaker Pro that allows you to run FileMaker Pro within the scope of iOS features.

FileMaker Pro apps can be distributed only by distributing FileMaker Pro documents, and can be distributed from any site that allows the sale and distribution of Zip archives.

However, Claris FileMaker Go can’t run on a Mac.

Piyomaru,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query.

The programme sounds wonderful.

May I assume, because it is server/web-based, that it is cross-platform?

Regards,

Lar

No. They are limited to iOS and are not cross-platform. It is important to note that it does not work on the web.

Initially, I thought that since you wrote “Mac application package”, it was intended to run on one of the local operating systems.

So, what do you really want to do is run a FileMaker Pro database on a web server (without using a FileMaker Pro database server)?

If it’s a paid product, you can find a few things that convert a FileMaker Pro database to a SQLite database. However, don’t expect that “everything” of a FileMaker Pro database can be converted. Also, it’s not very cheap.

Piyomaru,

Apologies. I misread the FileMaker Developer Subscription spec. I thought it was intended to assist creation of an online solution. My runtimes are desktop apps.

Re-reading your original email, I can’t think where I got the online idea from. Another ‘senior moment’ probably…

Thanks again.

Regards,

Lar