Simulating the action of clicking on the Finder button by a program

In order to get the user to select a folder I can use the following script

tell application "Finder"
	set source_folder to choose folder with prompt "Please select the required folder"
end telll

This time what I need to do is a bit different, I need to point a specific directory and inform the user he can start working on that folder. In doing so, he would be getting a message such as: “All files have been transferred, you can now start cleaning the directory. PLEASE PROCEED !”

in other word, what I want to do simulate is the action like when I click on the Finder button, a browser opens showing directories, subdirectories and files. I do not want user to click on the “Finder” button but the program to perform this action.

Is there a way to simulate this action?

HUM :rolleyes: I am not sure if I want this or not, I will ask the question and will decide later if I want to implement this or not.

At the moment, when I click on the FInder button not only the directories, the sub-directories, the files are showing. Also on left side of the screen, it shows Devices, Shared, Places, Search For. For the time of this operation, would it be possible not to show those selectable options but only the directories, the sub-directories, the files of where I am pointing.

Thanks!
Daniel

In continuation to the point above, once displayed the user should only be allowed to rename those files, directories or sub-directories.

Once completed all files, directories, sub-drectories would then be moved onto the called “Certified” directory.

As an example, let’s say I have a directory called todaysPicture and there is the “Certified” subdirectory inside it.

todaysPicture/Certified

The user would be going through the pictures found in todaysPicture directory. Look at the pictures, rename the pictures, if possible tag the pictures. Once terminated, he would either 1) select the tagged pictures and move them inside the Certified subdirectories or 2) the program would look at tagged pictures and automatically move them to the certified directory.

The second option would be better. Can this be implemented with an Applescript program?

Thanks!
Daniel

Hello everybody!

Just want to know, there has not been any response to this topic. Is it because this is not possible? I’ve been navigating onto the web and theres not seems to be such a solution.

I would have thought it could be possible to open a file browser window inside an applescript program. I’ll continue investigating.

Regards!
Daniel

What is “the Finder button”?

Daniel, you’ve been around long enough that you should know how to look through the dictionary of an application. Have you looked through the Finder’s dictionary? It is a Finder window so it makes sense that you might find some answers by looking at the Finder’s dictionary. If you did you would have found the “reveal” command and seen you can use it like this…

set windowPath to path to desktop folder
	reveal windowPath
end tell

Then if you look at the dictionary for a window you would see that a Finder window has many properties you can use, for example you could do this to make the window look like you want…

set windowPath to path to desktop folder
	reveal windowPath
	tell window 1
		set sidebar width to 130
		set position to {40, 40}
		set bounds to {40, 40, 800, 500}
		set current view to column view
	end tell
end tell

So you can get help here but you have to learn how to use the applescript tools and do some work yourself first. Next you’re going to want to know how to move files into a folder, so look through the Finder’s dictionary and see if you can figure that out.