Sound Volume Change in iTunes with Front Row in Leopard?

I am using the digital output on my mac to feed a high-quality DAC, so the system volume is disabled, hence I cannot adjust the main system volume level. I’m using a Keyspan IR Remote system to trigger applescripts so I can use my Mac as a media player. In Tiger, I used to be able to send an applescript volume change command to iTunes directly, even when using Front Row, and it would adjust the volume in iTunes. Now, in Leopard, this doesn’t work. I can send a mute command to iTunes while in Front Row, and that does still work, but the volume change doesn’t work. Any ideas? Did they change the way Front Row works? Thanks for any insight.

You never posted what you’re using that doesn’t work, but looking at the dictionary for iTunes there’s 2 commands you can use… “sound volume” to affect the volume globally or “volume adjustment” to affect just the volume of a track. So something like this might work.

– to raise the volume

tell application "iTunes"
	set currentVolume to sound volume
	set sound volume to currentVolume + 10 -- this value can be any integer from 0 to 100
end tell

– to lower the volume

tell application "iTunes"
	set currentVolume to sound volume
	set sound volume to currentVolume - 10
end tell

My scripts all worked fine in Tiger, and they work fine in Leopard when Front Row is not running, but the “set sound volume” command does not work to change the volume in iTunes when Front Row is running in leopard. In Tiger, even if Front Row was running, I could change the volume in iTunes via Applescript and it worked fine. In Leopard, I cannot. The mute commands however, do work, so I am really confused as to why the volume commands don’t work. It seems strange that some Applescript commands would work but some wouldn’t. Any ideas? Thanks. :slight_smile: