Sparkle and Applescript App in XCode

I wanted to integrate Sparkle into my XCode application, but when I went to the site I saw “Sparkle is a module that developers can stick in their Cocoa applications (five-step install!) to get instant self-update functionality.”

It says “Cocoa applications” but will this still work if I have an Applescript app?


Yes it works just as it would in a Cocoa app. By the way an Applescript Studio app is still technically a Cocoa application. It uses a few plugins and frameworks to allow Applescript as the main language. Just follow the instructions that come with Sparkle.

Let me know if any body has gotten Sparkle to work in their app. When I saw this thread I checked out sparkle and it looked like a cool thing to add to mine but I’m having a pronlem with the appcast feed. Seems one of the URIs in line 2 is a dead link. I’ve reported this on the sparkle support page as have others but there’s no solution there yet.

This would be a really great thing to add to our cocoa apps if it works. But if that dead link is really needed then that pretty effectively kills the whole thing.

I’ve tried just putting the app enclosure in one of my already functional rss feeds and point my app at that but that doesn’t work either.

If anybody has found a work around please post.

Just did a search for “Sparkle” in here. Found several posts recomending it but none by anybody that claim to have it working in their app. :frowning: This doesn’t look promising. Perhaps somebody who does have it working could post there working feed in here with the urls to there site and app replaced with “YourURLhere” and “YourAppHere”. That, I think, would make things much easier on those of us trying to get it working.

The appcast is just (“just”) an RSS feed. What part is causing problems for you?

Also, you can check the appcast that the demo app uses:

Edit: There is also a sample appcast in Sparkle’s documentation PDF:

Edit: Copied from the PDF:

Line 2

enter in to your browser. It gets Page Not Found.

and that was just the first of many errors the validator spit at me.

You can remove that if you’re not using the sparkle namespace.

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what the sparkle namespace is or if I’m using it or not.

I would assume that if I don’t know what it is then I’m probably not using it but my first assumption would be is if it wasn’t neccessary then It wouldn’t be in there to begin with.

Anyway. It seems to be working now. I don’t know what was stopping it from working the first time

I guess the file has to be named appcast.xml

the first time i named it after my app with the .xml suffix and pointed the info.plist to that.

That’s the only thing I can think of that was different.

Elements or attributes that begin with “sparkle:” are in the sparkle namespace (e.g. the element <sparkle:releaseNotesLink> or the enclosure attribute sparkle:version).