Speeding up comparison between Google search and list

Hi,

I have a script that takes links from google search pages and stores the results in a list called urlList. The script then cURLs and compares the resulting web pages on the list against a list of terms in an array called urlArray . If the text in urlArray appear in the HTML of the pages the page address is added to the correct element of urlArray. The array is then written to a text file.

Although the script works, it takes about 5 mins or so on my computer to collect and search the HTML text of 100 pages for two search terms. I am hoping that it can be slightly faster than this.

Is there some way of making this script more efficient? Possibly a way to speed up refering to the lists?

Having searched of this forum I have come across this discussion ( http://bbs.applescript.net/viewtopic.php?t=6233 ) that seems to relate to this, but I must admit to getting a little bit lost. Is what is being said that you define the lists as properties and then just refer to them as “my ‘listName’” everywhere to make the script run much faster?

My script follows. Any help appreciated. Thanks

John M

set urlList to {}
set urlArray to {}
set theChunks to 10 -- either 10, 25, 50 or 100
set theRecords to 30 -- should be a multiple of theChunks var

set theSearchTerm to text returned of (display dialog �
	"What search words to use? (use + as word spacer)" default answer "first+second+third" buttons [" OK "] default button 1)

set listNumber to 1
repeat -- with listNumber
	set myText to (display dialog "What page text are you looking for?" default answer "text item " & listNumber buttons ["More", "Enough", "Cancel"] default button 1)
	set urlArray to urlArray & {text returned of myText as list}
	if button returned of myText is "Enough" then exit repeat
	set listNumber to listNumber + 1
end repeat
set urlArray to urlArray & {"None of the search terms" as list}

--set theChunks to (choose from list {10, 25, 50, 100} default items {10} with prompt "choose how many records per page") as integer

set theRecords to text returned of (display dialog "Approximately how many web pages would you like to find?" default answer theRecords buttons ["OK"] default button 1) as integer

--repeat for required pages
repeat with myRecords from 0 to (theRecords - theChunks) by theChunks

--get search page code
	set myCode to do shell script "curl -A "Mozilla/3.0 (Win95; I)" "http://www.google.com/search?q=" & theSearchTerm & "&num=" & theChunks & "&start=" & myRecords & """

--get urlList from theUrl
	if (offset of "<a href=" in myCode) is not 0 then

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
		set myDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"<a href="}
		set anList to (text items of myCode) as list
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to myDelimiters

repeat with myLink from 2 to (length of anList)
			set MyString to text item myLink of anList as string
			if MyString starts with "http" then
				set myUrl to (characters 1 thru ((offset of " " in MyString) - 1) of MyString) as string
				if (offset of ">" in myCode) is not 0 then
					set myUrl to (characters 1 thru ((offset of ">" in myUrl) - 1) of myUrl) as string
				end if
				set urlList to urlList & myUrl
			end if
		end repeat
	else
		return
	end if
	--end get urlList from theUrl

end repeat
--end repeat for required pages

--check urlList for searchText(s)
repeat with newUrl in urlList
	if newUrl does not contain "google" then
		try
			set myNewCode to do shell script "curl -A "Mozilla/3.0 (Win95; I)" "" & newUrl & """
			set searchFlag to false
			repeat with myTextNum from 1 to ((length of urlArray) - 1)
				if myNewCode contains item 1 of item myTextNum of urlArray then
					set item myTextNum of urlArray to item myTextNum of urlArray & newUrl
					set searchFlag to true
				end if
			end repeat
			if searchFlag is false then set item (length of urlArray) of urlArray to item (length of urlArray) of urlArray & newUrl
		end try
	end if
end repeat
--end check urlList

-- save to file
set myFilePath to choose file name default name "result pages.txt"
set saveFile to (open for access myFilePath with write permission)

write "From search pages:" & return & "http://www.google.com/search?q=" & theSearchTerm & return as string to saveFile

repeat with n from 1 to (length of urlArray)
	write return & "Pages containing: " & ((item 1 of item n of urlArray) as string) & return & return as string to saveFile
	if (length of item n in urlArray) > 1 then
		repeat with m from 2 to (length of item n in urlArray)
			write ((item m of item n of urlArray) as string) & return as string to saveFile
		end repeat
	else
		write "No pages" & return as string to saveFile
	end if
end repeat

close access saveFile
--end save to file

You are not manipulating great lists of items, so a more efficient code wouldn’t speed up so much the process.
Perhaps in the last action, write the results to a text file, could be a bit quicker if you don’t “write” several times, but only 1 (osaxen calls are “slow”). Eg:

set finalReport to ""
repeat with x in y
     if x blah blah then set finalReport to finalReport & "blah blah"
end repeat
--> now write all the text in finalReport to the text file

If you are interested in timing specific chunks of code, you can use Jon’s Commands’ “the ticks” command and see how long does it takes to execute. Eg:

set start to the ticks
set x to ""
repeat with i from 1 to 5000
	set x to x & i
end repeat
set totalTime to "" & ((the ticks) - start) / 60 & " seconds"
--> eg, "1,17 seconds"

Most probably you’ll find, by the own nature of your code, that you could improve your speed from “2,32” seconds to “1,47”, but simply downloading the pages could take several minutes, so it isn’t a great bussiness…

Thanks for that jj, definitely a start.

The figures are really just an example and I hope to be able to use this script to search a lot more pages. The time consuming part of the script does seem to be the page download and string checking. I don’t see how to speed up the page download, so I hope to get some idea of how to save time in the string searches in the central section of the script.

Cheers

John M