Sqlite3 not updating

Hi there !

I’m having trouble getting sqlite3 to update a table with info gathered from my app interface.

When inserting items my handlers work perfectly, yet when trying to update those entries it doesn’t do anything !?

Here’s the code I’m using for the update part:

set ReSADBLocation to GetReSAHomeFolder()
		set ReSADBLocation to quoted form of (POSIX path of (ReSADBLocation & "Setup Files:JobLog.db")) & space
		set theSQLstring to "sqlite3 " & ReSADBLocation & "\"update RESA_JOB_LOG  set  SessionName =" & NameSessionUpdated & " AND Description =" & thedescriptionUpdated & " AND Date =" & thedateUpdated & " AND Operator =" & OperatorUpdated & " AND Facility =" & FacilityUpdated & " AND Suite =" & SuiteUpdated & " AND Function =" & FunctionUpdated & " AND TimeIN =" & theTimeINUpdated & " AND TimeOUT =" & theTimeOUTUpdated & " AND DailyHRS =" & DailyHRSUpdated & " AND OverTimeHRS =" & OverTimeHRSUpdated & " AND PublicHolidayHRS =" & PublicHolidayHRSUpdated & " AND OtherHRS =" & OtherHRSUpdated & " AND Notes =" & theNotesUpdated & " AND Path =" & thePathUpdated & " AND RateCode =" & RateTypeUpdated & " AND DateCreated =" & DateCreatedUpdated & " AND DateModified =" & DateModifiedUpdated & " AND RequiresAction =" & RequiresActionUpdated & " where SessionName =" & NameSession & " AND Description =" & thedescription & " AND Date =" & thedate & " AND Operator =" & Operator & " AND Facility =" & Facility & " AND Suite =" & Suite & " AND Function =" & Function & " AND TimeIN =" & theTimeIN & " AND TimeOUT =" & theTimeOUT & " AND DailyHRS =" & DailyHRS & " AND OverTimeHRS =" & OverTimeHRS & " AND PublicHolidayHRS =" & PublicHolidayHRS & " AND OtherHRS =" & OtherHRS & " AND Notes =" & theNotes & " AND Path =" & thePath & " AND RateCode =" & RateType & " AND DateCreated =" & DateCreated & " AND DateModified =" & DateModified & " AND RequiresAction =" & RequiresAction & " ;\"" as Unicode text

set theFile to open for access ((path to desktop as string)) & "tester" with write permission
		set eof of theFile to 0
		write theSQLstring to theFile
		close access theFile
		try
			do shell script theSQLstring
		on error errMsg
			beep 2
			display dialog errMsg
		end try

The output from my test file reads correct, yet sqlite does not update. What am I missing here?

Here is the output from my test file:

Thanks for having a look !!

For this type of thing, it is usually some small little typo that messes things up. The best way to test any do shell script is to get the variable text into your Script Editor Results window, copy it, and paste it into Terminal and see what happens. If it still does not work, you then know that there is some kind of error in the creation of your variable.

As for the UPDATE command, depending on what you are doing here, it may simpler to use REPLACE:

REPLACE into clean (clean_id, clean_Path) VALUES (2,'~/Library/Mail Downloads/');

Hi Craig,

I’ve tried the replace command but it keeps throwing errors. Not sure why. Also when trying the text command in terminal I get the same failure. So suppose i will have to try to update one column at a time until I find the one with the variable problem.

Oh well … here we go !!!:slight_smile:

Feel free to shoot me off an email with your database and some clearer details on what you are trying to do. I could take a look at it later tonight.

I think the problem is that your SQL syntax is wrong. The syntax for an update statement requires a comma, not the “AND” that you’re using, between successive field = value assignments.

Check the syntax at http://www.sqlite.org/lang.html

Tom
BareFeet
http://www.tandb.com.au/applescript/