Start-up disk scrip not behaving well after moving to 10.15

I have this script that tells you what the start-up disk is, as there are several disks that the computer can start up from and when people are using it that are not aware of it, I want to alert them. FYI there are several disks attached to the Mac.

Script is:

with timeout of 3600 seconds -- set to 1 hour maximum = 3600

delay 5

tell application "System Events"
		activate
		set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not "Finder" to false
	end tell

--	

tell application "Finder" to display alert "      Starting up from: ===> " & (get name of startup disk) & " 
	" message "

===> Please VARIFY!

Is this indeed the Start-up disk you want to use!
If not restart after selecting the correct disk.

Your current start-up disk is: ===>  " & (get name of startup disk)

--

tell application "Finder"
		if name of startup disk contains "BU" then display alert "PAY ATTENTION!.

You are using the Back-Up Start-up disk, namely:

---->  " & (get name of startup disk) & " <---- 

Are you sure or do you need to restart on the other disk?"

end tell

delay 1

tell application "Finder"
		activate
		set visible of every process whose visible is false and name is not "Finder" to true
		delay 2
	end tell

end timeout -- If x hours isn't enough, use a larger number. 

However, it does not run properly, and sometimes it crashes.

The other thing that happens is that the alert window hides behind open folders on the desktop or is not visible at all when there are no open windows on the desktop. FYI, I work with 3 different desktops. If you move to the next desktop, or simply click on the desktop, the alert window becomes visible.

It has been fine for years but since I moved to 10.15 it started to behave not as it once did.

Any ideas?

I’m using 10.12 so maybe this does nothing for you but what happens if you use System Events for the bulk of the operation (rather than the Finder)? I get the impression that Apple keeps deprecating some AS/Finder functionality with every system release.

tell application "Finder" to set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not "Finder" to false

activate
	set sDisk to name of startup disk as text

if sDisk contains "BU" then
		set da to display alert "Is " & sDisk & " the correct startup disk?" message "You are working from the 'backup' disk" as critical buttons {"Oops", "Yes"} cancel button {"Oops"}
	end if
end tell

By ordering it this way, it displays the alert regardless of which desktop I launch it from and the alert always comes to the fore. To test, I set up two desktops, each of which had an open Finder window. You can then use either the Finder or System Events to unhide everything.

Browser: Firefox 86.0
Operating System: macOS 10.12

I don’t think that displaying foreground alerts has anything to do with Finder. It is enough not to hide the front window of the current application (this script), and not the Finder, as you both do. Either don’t hide anything, or hide everything except the window of the current application (this script). I would not hide anything:

tell application "System Events" to set sDisk to name of startup disk as text

if sDisk contains "BU" then ¬
	display alert "Is " & sDisk & ¬
		" the correct startup disk?" message "You are working from the 'backup' disk" as critical ¬
		buttons {"Oops", "Yes"} cancel button {"Oops"}

If I still needed to hide unnecessary windows, then I would do it like this:

set currentApplicationName to name of current application

set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not currentApplicationName to false
end tell

" the correct startup disk?" message "You are working from the 'backup' disk" as critical ¬
		buttons {"Oops", "Yes"} cancel button {"Oops"}

@ Mockman

thanks, no good results. but thanks anyway.

Hi KniazidisR

after some experimenting I implemented your suggestions and made this:

with timeout of 3600 seconds -- set to 1 hour maximum = 3600

delay 0

--

--

set visible of every process whose visible is true and name is not currentApplicationName to false

--	

set theAlertText to "Starting up from: ===> " & sDisk & " <=== Please VARIFY!"
		set theAlertMessage to "Is this indeed the Start-up disk you want to use!

Your current start-up disk is: 
								===>  " & (sDisk)
		display alert theAlertText message theAlertMessage as critical buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Yes I use " & sDisk & ""} cancel button {"Yes I use " & sDisk & ""}

if result = {button returned:"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!"} then
			tell application "System Preferences"
				activate
			end tell
			delay 1
				tell process "System Preferences"
					click menu item "Startup Disk" of menu "View" of menu bar 1
				end tell
			end tell
		end if
	end tell

--

" the correct startup disk?" message "

===> Please VARIFY! " & sDisk & " <===

You are working from the 'backup' disk = = = >.  " & sDisk & " " as critical ¬
			buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Yes I use " & sDisk & ""} cancel button {"Yes I use " & sDisk & ""}

activate
		end tell
		delay 1
			end tell
		end tell
	end if

--

end timeout -- If x hours isn't enough, use a larger number. 

This piece of your last script:

-- 

set theAlertText to "Starting up from: ===> " & sDisk & " <=== Please VARIFY!"

===> " & (sDisk)
	display alert theAlertText message theAlertMessage as critical buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Yes I use " & sDisk & ""} cancel button {"Yes I use " & sDisk & ""}

activate
		end tell
		delay 1
			end tell
		end tell
	end if
end tell

I will repeat: displaying alert on the front is job of current application only (not Finder, not System Events and so on). So, you should avoid wrapping the display alerts statements with tell Finder block, with tell System Events block and so on:

------------------- hide windows, except of current application's windows ---------------------------
end tell

--------------------------------- dislpay first alert --------------------------------------------------
set theAlertText to "Starting up from: ===> \"" & sDisk & "\" <=== Please VARIFY!"

===> \"" & (sDisk) & "\""
display alert theAlertText message theAlertMessage as critical ¬
	buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Yes I use \"" & sDisk & "\""} cancel button {"Yes I use \"" & sDisk & "\""}
if (button returned of result) is "!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!" then my restartDialog()

-------------------------------------- dislpay second  alert ------------------------------------------
	display alert "Is \"" & sDisk & "\" the correct startup disk?" message "

===> Please VARIFY! \"" & sDisk & "\" <===

You are working from the 'backup' disk = = = >. \"" & sDisk & "\"" as critical ¬
		buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Yes I use \"" & sDisk & "\""} ¬
		cancel button {"Yes I use \"" & sDisk & "\""}
	if (button returned of result) is "!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!" then my restartDialog()
end if

-------------------------------------- restart dialog handler ------------------------------------------
on restartDialog()
	tell application "System Preferences" to activate
	tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"
	end tell
end restartDialog

Also, I see no need to increase the timeout. No need with timeout block at all.
Also, no need delay after activating System Preferences, as I see (at least, on my Mac).
Also, I added quote escapes to display disk names quoted.

wow you cleaned that up a lot. and thanks KniazidisR I am learning a thing or two here.

well before I posted it I tested and needed this timeout. your script also does not work without it.

error "System Events got an error: Can’t get menu item \"Startup Disk\" of menu \"View\" of menu bar 1 of process \"System Preferences\"." number -1728 from menu item "Startup Disk" of menu "View" of menu bar 1 of process "System Preferences"

so I put the timeout in again. otherwise all is well and thank you for your help.

Hi, again. I hope the last time in this topic. :smiley:

The fact is that I found one significant error in our “wonderful” script: for the second display alert to be able to appear, you should use a separate (different) “Cancel” button in the first display alert :

------------------- hide windows, exept of current application's windows ---------------------------
end tell

--------------------------------- dislpay first alert --------------------------------------------------
set theAlertText to "Starting up from: ===> \"" & sDisk & "\" <=== Please VARIFY!"

===> \"" & (sDisk) & "\""
	buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Cancel", "Yes I use \"" & sDisk & "\""} cancel button {"Cancel"}

-------------------------------------- dislpay second  alert ------------------------------------------

You are working from the 'backup' disk = = = >. \"" & sDisk & "\"" as critical ¬
end if

-------------------------------------- restart dialog handler ------------------------------------------
on restartDialog()
	delay 1
	end tell
end restartDialog

why would that be so?

and for your information testing in real life I had to extend the delay to 2.5 otherwise I was getting errors.

[format]System Events got an error:
Can’t get menu item “Startup Disk” of menu “View” of menu
bar 1 of process “System Preferences”. (-1728)[/format]

Because when you define the button “Yes, I will use this disk” as cancel button (in the first alert), then the script is cancelled after pressing this button. You should define other button as cancel button, or not define cancel button at all, to continue with verifying in the second alert.

Now, to avoid the problem with delay. You can use instead of hardcoded delay (delay 1, or delay 3.5) repeat loop:

on restartDialog()
		repeat until exists menu item "Startup Disk" of menu "View" of menu bar 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
	end tell
end restartDialog

Thank you for all the insights. They’re much appreciated.

Sorry for the delay in reply. A friend downloaded a trojan and I spend all day fixing the computer and making sure it was free of malicious stuff.
Hurray for 3-2-1 backups!

OK I see your point, and this could be important in some cases.
Thanks for pointing it out, it helps me to learn more fine aspects of AS. So, in some scripts/situations, this could be important. However, if one is happy with the disk that is the start-up disk, it is fine to stop the scripts. As the aim is to alert people (and me) that we are not working in the main disk.
See the “BU” indicator is there because any disk I use that is not the main disk has BU in the name.

That is a good one and I will incorporate it! Thanks a million.

Greetings, one more question if anybody knows.

The script runs at startup. And if windows are open from the last time the dialogue disappears under the other windows and might even hide. Is there a way to keep it permanently on top till clicked away?

folks the script works mostly but one problem remains that I am unable to solve. hope somebody is able to help me out here as I am not able to fix it.

I have 3 disks attached to my computer all with FileVault enabled. so, when this script runs at start-up, the unlocking/password windows of the disks appear also. these hide the script window and all I am left with is a bouncing icon in the sidebar.

Is there a way to force it to the top or at least have it stay visible under the unlocking/password windows?

Here is the script as is.

delay 5

------------------- hide windows, except of current application's windows ---------------------------
end tell

===> \"" & (sDisk) & "\"
"
	buttons {"!! Oh no I need to Reboot !!", "Cancel", "Yes I use \"" & sDisk & "\""} cancel button {"Cancel"}

-------------------------------------- display second alert ------------------------------------------

end if

-------------------------------------- end time-out ------------------------------------------	
--end timeout 
-- If x hours isn't enough, use a larger number. 

-------------------------------------- restart dialogue handler ------------------------------------------
on restartDialog()
		repeat until exists menu item "Startup Disk" of menu "View" of menu bar 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
	end tell
end restartDialog