Stopping a running script compiled into xCode

Now that I have a script compiled into xCode, something’s missing. The script editor had this lovely stop button that we could use to um, stop the script.

I’d never considered how to halt the script as it’s running now that it’s compiled into an app. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hit the red Tasks button in either the main window’s toolbar or the console’s toolbar.

If the application that your working on is idle, you can also quit the app. Some app’s that you’re working on may need to be shutdown properly; those things that need to terminate, be saved, or closed, should be addressed when the application is quit.

Sorry Shane, I think you misunderstand. There is no red tasks button. There is no console. I’ve compiled the Applescript in xCode and when running as a standalone app, the script runs until it is done.

I’m hoping I don’t have to make the code callback enabled and timer serviced. It would be nice if something like a command period would stop the script (now an app) from executing, but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks,

You could try

property myBoolean: false

on myEndButton_(sender)
set myBoolean to true          ---Bind to a button in your app
end myEndButton_

on myScript_(sender)
if myBoolean is equal to true then return
-- do  script stuff
-- do script stuff
etc etc etc

end myScript_

What’s the difference between compiling a plain AppleScript in ScriptEditor and press the Stop button
and compiling an AppleScript Studio script in Xcode and press the Tasks button.

Or the other way round: Can you stop a script saved as application in Script Editor and run as standalone app? :wink:

Because there is no stop button when the application is running as a stand alone application on another computer.

Eric - Thanks. It looks like that’s what I’m going to do. The trick is that once I click my start button, the applescript locks up the UI in the app, so I’ll have to break up the script into pieces that get called by a timer somehow so that one will only get called after another.

I wish I could just spawn a thread that does not lock up the UI and I could just issue a kill to that thread.

a good way to break a script like that is making a cocoa call…
“performSelector:withObject:afterDelay”

on scriptToBindToButton_(sender)

performSelector_withObject_afterDelay_("scriptChunkOne:",sender,0.0)

end 

on scriptChunkOne_(sender)
tell me
do some stuff
end tell

performSelector_withObject_afterDelay_("scriptChunkTwo:",sender,0.0)

end scriptChunkOne_

on scriptChunkTwo_(sender)
tell me
do some stuff
end tell

performSelector_withObject_afterDelay_("scriptChunkThree:",sender,0.0)
end scriptChunkTwo

etc etc etc

Hmmm. Eric, the problem with what you suggested is that the performSelector_withObject_afterDelay_ command does not wait for the previous object to finish and since I have no idea how long the previous task will take to finish, I can’t specify a timeout.

Oh, the joys of learning a new environment.

This works to recreate idle.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/applescript-implementors/2009/Sep/msg00026.html

-- Idle wrapper
on applicationWillFinishLaunching_(aNotification)
	my performSelector_withObject_afterDelay_("idleWrapper", missing value, 0.01)
end applicationWillFinishLaunching_

on applicationShouldTerminate_(sender)
	return true
end applicationShouldTerminate_

on idleWrapper()
	try
		-- The following calls the "on idle" handler and triggers
		-- an error if that handler fails, or if it returns a
		-- non-numeric value:
		set idleTime to (0.0 + (idle))
	on error
		set idleTime to missing value
	end try
	if (idleTime is missing value) or (idleTime ≤ 0.0) then
		set idleTime to 1.0 -- AppleScript default for idle handler delay in seconds
	end if
	my performSelector_withObject_afterDelay_("idleWrapper", missing value, idleTime)
end idleWrapper
----

on idle
log “In idle.”
end